dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Allaire + Macromedia = What's that mean to us?

The Minister of No Crap

I've read all about the big merger and its an exciting thing. My future as a Flash designer looks very promising. But then I started thinking. I don't use Cold Fussion. I don't use Java. I have never been impressed with Homesite. I can find no way that this merger has benefitted me, except that Macromedia has an even more promising future than before.

But unless I'm going to learn Cold Fussion, Java, and downgrade to Homesite... I am benefitted no other way.

Or am I? Any thoughts?

-scott
    http://www.scottmanning.com

not your average sock puppet finnegan's Avatar
    I don't know if they would continue some of Allaire's products, but they were after ColdFusion. I expect that they will do something similar to how they developed the UltraDev tools for Dreamweaver.

I used to use a program called Drumbeat to develop database driven HTML web sites. Very nice tool. The developer, Elemental Software, was quickly bought by Macromedia. Drumbeat was discontinued, but the best bits were repackaged into the UltraDev add-on for Dreamweaver.

Full ColdFusion support in a Dreamweaver add-on?

I have no need for ColdFusion, so I am ambivalent about it. I personally use ASP. It has native server support.

Is it just me, or is Macromedia acting like the Microsoft of the web development software world?

The Minister of No Crap

I don't know if Macromedia would ever be as bad as Microsoft, but you never know.

Anyone have any thoughts about this topic? Come on, someone has got to have an opinion. How will this effect us Flash Designers? Anyone?

-scott

Challenge the Conventional
    Originally posted by nocrapchurch
    I've read all about the big merger and its an exciting thing. My future as a Flash designer looks very promising. But then I started thinking. I don't use Cold Fussion. I don't use Java. I have never been impressed with Homesite. I can find no way that this merger has benefitted me, except that Macromedia has an even more promising future than before.

But unless I'm going to learn Cold Fussion, Java, and downgrade to Homesite... I am benefitted no other way.

Or am I? Any thoughts?

-scott
    I'm not usre homsite is a downGrade, as the premier HTML editor, I doubt Macromedia will be dumping this.. FOr starts its bundled with Dreamweaver. The likly hood is that it will be intigrated into the WYSIWYG side of Dreamweaver.

As far as how it effects us as flash designers. It can only be good. ColdFussion os one fo the leading server side solutions, and ultimately some of its featurews will become accessable from FLash.

Definitly tight integration between Coldfusion and Flash. I dont think its a bad thing at all. Coldfusion is extremely useful and adaptable.

The Minister of No Crap

Originally posted by Visionray
    Definitly tight integration between Coldfusion and Flash. I dont think its a bad thing at all. Coldfusion is extremely useful and adaptable.
    Sounds good, but what could you do with Cold Fussion and Flash? I'm very curious.

-scott