A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: flashnow

Hybrid View

I have a game I would like to make multiplayer.

Has anyone used flashnow? Comments? Is it worth trying? Can it be used with a Unix server?

-gamist

what is flashnow

Newbie question, but what is flashnow?

xml socket thingy

Flash Now allows a flash movie to be multiuser using xml sockets. I had problems with it, so I posted questions in their forum and emailed them directly...no responses. If you understand how to do it with no questions, it may be a cool thing to do. If you have questions, I say don't bother. Any who, this is the url: http://www.nowcentral.com/

NowCentral

I actually loved their server.... It was definently the easiest for installation and use [up in 5 min on a win98 machine]. (If only Moocks CommServer didn't need the JRE!!!).

I've posted on their forums and had to wait a bit, but I got very informed answers, which helped a lot. Obviously the 'free' version of the server won't be taken care of as much as a commercial version will, but that's to be expected.

There are a lot of XMLSocket servers out there, but NowCentral's was the quickest off the starting blocks.... I personally use Colin Moocks though...

If your know Perl, Java, or something like that I've heard you can write your own XMLSocket server... I have no clue how easy/hard that would be though...