A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Suggestion: Web Standards

Hi.

Im not sure where to suggest this or make comments but I have a very serious problem that I think we all have a resposiblity to try and do something about. Flash is a fantastic program. Its usability and interface make the design of internet applications and the like an absolute dream. Interactive animation is litteraly changing the face of the Internet and something like 95% of Surfers have the Flash plugin!

There is one big problem. They don't all have the same browsers. I'm sure many of us Web designers have spent hours of work refining HTML and JavaScript only to try it in another browser and discover that it has been hours wasted. Netscape and IE are not the same platform and do not react the same... this is true with swLiveconnect and other parameters that can make the diference when designing a Flash embeded Web site. The W3C who have standardised the HTML specification as well as CSS and XML and are basicaly the The Law when it comes to WWW design, make little comment about Flash, They have infact decided to promote a similar but completely different format SVG (Scaleable Vector Graphics) Y? "?" SVG is cool, powerfull, programmable and a big threat to Flash. The point is I happen to like Flash, but the difference in performance under differing browsers is a real pain as Im sure many of us many know... I send hours searching through posts on this and other sites to resolve and iron out problems concerning this issue.

Isn't it not kind of up to us to preasureise the major players involved, Microsoft, Netscape, W3C, Sun Microsystem, and Macromedia to try and reach a crossbrowser standard for Flash interaction!

Please Comment.
    Martin

I can't say I've ever had any problems with flash on different browsers. I have with Java and HTML but not Flash.

I do agree however that SVG is a big threat to Flash but so far its just coping what Flash can already do.