A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: import options

One thing I can see right off,... that well,...kind of bothers me,..is that I'm forcd to import the .wmf file format. Sure wish there were a few more options. Perhaps even Illustrator (.ai) or Corel Draw (.cdr) or Freehand file (.fh) formats,..or .tga's,..jpeg,..or .gifs. Something other than the dreaded .wmf.

Super Moderator
    How about eps? I am planning on doing that.

Importing bitmap formats is not very useful in a vector-oriented program except for filling shapes and for auto-tracing (which we intend to have later).

This is my timetable for major functionality additions:
    1. Everything can be a button - next wk
    2. Button appearance changes on mouse events - 1 wk later
    3. Go-to-frame, if-frame-loaded actions - 1/2 wk later
    4. Save state of text effects so can edit & major redo of Sounds/Actions screen - 2-3 wks later

[Edited by Bob Hartzell on 08-10-2000 at 03:45 PM]

Sure,..eps would probably be fine. I haven't had much experience with it,...but I do know that many print houses accept .eps file formats to insure that mac/pc compatibility issues are not a problem. So if it's good enough for them,..then it's good enough for me. The .wmf format just screws around with my line quality way too much for my taste. Basically,..what I like are file formats that closely adhere to the "wysiwyg" policy. Maybe it's just me,...others may have no problems with .wmf format. I'm sure it's o.k. for you because you wouldn't have chosen it for the premiere format for Kool otherwise. So,...again,..it may be just me.

Todd

I'm not a huge fan of WMF either, but it does have its advantages. For example, WMF files tend to be smaller than EPS.To use EPS file you must have a post script printer or use a filter (copright and patent isues) in order to print the graphic. Since Kool Moves is a Web graphic tool this may not matter.

The biggest difference, and the reason why sign shops want it in EPS, is that WMF and CGM simulate curves with small line segments while EPS has a curve defination value. If the image is small- no problem- but if you are doing a 5 foot sign?

There still will be the problem of vectorizing the flat images though. Until the auto trace feature is included you will still have to import a vector format into Kool Moves.
    [Edited by johnie on 08-10-2000 at 06:40 PM]