A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: OK - No laughing!

Angry

Hi folks, I need your help!

I'm fairly new to web design anyway, but I have some questions about Flash site construction...

I'm about to start creatying a site for a friends band - they want all the usual stuff which I've done before in Frontpage (sorry for swearing!).

1. This may seem like a stupid question, but is it common practice to create an entire site from Flash alone? (i.e. for speed of loading etc should I base the site on html pages with only the "active content" in Flash?)

2. I have registry entries that set the page as the "home" page for the viewer. Is there an easier way to do this? Can I just link to those existing reg files for people to download them?

3. How can I detect the resolution of the viewer and (manually or automatically) route people to appropriately sized pages?

There you go - 3 stupid questions for the price of one!

Cheers folks
    cx

Lightbulb

If you don't know the answer to question it doesn't mean it's a stupid question

So, at the risk of giving a stupid answer...

As in most things to do with design it's down to personal preferences and what needs to be achieved! But here are my suggestions

1. Some sites are flash only (except for the HTML to embed the flash movie) and some use HTML and flash - it depends on what is required. Sorry, not much help there but just try to use the product that will enable you to meet the design requirements as closely as possible.

2. Don't try to mess with people's settings - it just annoys them and will be very unlikely to return

3. Flash can be made to resize automatically and so can HTML (but HTML is a lot more work!)

Hope this helps,

Rich.