dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Something Occured to Me

Hybrid View

Here I am, helping out all these newbie's, and thinking i'm such a nice guy to be giving them all of the answers, then a thought occured to me: Am I really helping them out?

What I mean is, does giving them the answer help develop their ability to know actionscript and other aspects of flash, or am I just giving them a quick fix to get past their current dilemma, thus making them eternally addicted to flashkit, and all of its 'nice guy' members?

Maybe, instead of flat out giving them the answers, I should be encouraging them to find it themselves by pointing them the way...I mean, thats part of being a professional web designer, is finding the answers yourself and being resourceful, right?

just a thought...

The Minister of No Crap

I hear ya. Its better to teach someone how to cook than to always feed them.

What I usually do is go and find the answer somewhere (like on Macromedia's site or some place else with tutorials) and give them a link. That way they can click on the link and read for themselves how to do it. Then next time, before they post a question, they will go and do some studying for themselves instead of relying on us to give them the answer.

-scott
    http://www.scottmanning.com

I agree...
    I have promised myself that I will only provide one "entire solution" per day that involves me coding and such. I can't afford to do other people's work and leave mine undone. As long as providing their answer doesn't involve much work on my part, though, I will give all the answers I can.

After I have given my "one" complete solution, I will begin pointing people to a good source for the info they're looking for. Funny thing is, most of their answers are right in their Flash documentation and help files that are sitting on their own PC! Either that, or they can find an answer by performing an advanced search right here at Flashkit.

Sometimes I break my "one solution" rule, when I'm feeling really generous or bored, but that's allright. I love to help other people out. When I first came here I asked a few important questions that people were generous to provide, and I want to offer the same help in return.

Regards,

Jabez

Oh, BTW...

Catch a man a fish and he will eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime. -author, Idontknow.

It's a chinesse proverb!

Originally posted by The Neoracle
    It's a chinesse proverb!
    They have fish in china?

But seriously, great thread. Sometimes though, I think that after a few seemingly easy questions, people just catch the hang of things and take off all on their own.

I remember long ago, when I and flashkit were young, I had some problems with Flash as an interface to a CGI form. Thanks to the help of Netbreed though, I got going. Looking back, I wonder how anyone ('me') could have though of that as being a hard thing to firgure out. But today, it is no big deal.

Anyway, my point is that I think some (maybe not all, but some) people will get the hang of things after a few simple questions.