A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: O.k. this math stuff is important but ahh...

Senior member? I'm 14!
    Sine,cosine,and complicated angles? Oh and lets not forget High School. Ya, um I'm kinda in 7th grade. So I don't really know much about this math stuff. I'm trying hard to comprehend these other things too. So I'm sorry if I have some stupid questions. Although through this troubling stage I have learned many things. I have some games made up and cool effects so I will be able to help a lot more now. So to start out here is the begining of some sample code for moving an object around the stage:

onClipEvent (keyDown) {
    if (Key.getCode()==37) {
    setProperty (this, _x, this._x - 10);
    }
    }

If this where assigned to a MC and you pressed the left arrow key was pressed it would move over ten pixels on the screen.

The part in the code where it says this._x - 10);
    The this._x means the MC that you are putting the code on is being assinged a _x position on the stage. The X position is the area on the stage going across the stage from the center of the MC. The Y position is the area going vertically above and below the center of the MC. So when it says - 10 that means it will move the MC 10 pixel over on the stage to the left. Here is a diagram of the Y, X directions.
    Y
    |
    |
    Center of MC|
    -X---------|---------X
    |
    |
    |
    |
    -Y
    Hope I helped!

Senior member? I'm 14!

Arrow Sorry

That diagram thing got screwed up because everthjing went over to the side. It's supposed to make a plus like figuare. So don't go by it.