dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Suggested Charge for Flash Design?

Just wondering what a reasonable hourly rate for flash design would be?

NOTE: please state what currency your using

100 dollars an hour, if your good. Charge more for dynamic sites with database support.

Everyone has their own opinion about what to charge per hour, but here is mine.

Depending on where you are located, and how good you are, it all depends, but I think $50 is a good point to start. If you can get more, get it, but today Flash is becoming more and more just a common web development tool, and there is really a lot of competition.

If you are new, you may be slow, even if you are good. So you may have to think about that too.

But on the other hand, charging a really low fee (say $15) per hour will only make you look unprofessional, or make people think you are located in a third world country somewhere. So you have to find a middle ground.

My experience
    My experience is that the hard part is finding clients; if you have them, price is less of a problem than you would think.

Being able to do backend and scripting work will help your prices, but don't think that you will be making $250 an hour if you know ASP either.

I do a lot of flash, but my real specialty is backend work, just because I love to program, and like to see the way it makes a site really come alive. I only quote $50 per hour for pure programming. I am located in Tulsa Oklahoma, a big technology center as far as the Midwest US goes.
    <selfpromotion>
    Anyone making $100 per hour that would like to outsource their programming, just visit http://www.v9code.com
    </selfpromotion>

But really, my point is just start with a fair price, then start to raise it if you start to get to many clients.

Just my take.

Everybody thinks they will make big bucks as soon as they know a little bit about something everyone is talking about.

Having tight processes is important. I did an intro for $350, bid on a finished project (not by the hour) and then it only took 1.5 hours because I automate a bunch of actions, objects, etc..and my billing, invoices are all generated when I finish..

So I guess I made around $225/hr..which the client is more liekly to balk at..

---
    And hey Zacgavin..I'll remember you for programming..

a fellow okie!

[QUOTEI am located in Tulsa Oklahoma, a big technology center as far as the Midwest US goes.
    <selfpromotion>
    Anyone making $100 per hour that would like to outsource their programming, just visit http://www.v9code.com
    </selfpromotion>

But really, my point is just start with a fair price, then start to raise it if you start to get to many clients.

Just my take. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hello. I am from Oklahoma as well. I work for a design firm in Oklahoma City. I've put up my own site recently and am thinking about trying 2 pick up some contract work. Have you done anything like this? There doesn't seem 2 be a big market for Flash in Oklahoma. I've considered relocating. Or trying to pick up contract work/clients from out of state. I'm not sure what the best way 2 go about this is. Do you also work for a firm? I am more of a front end designer but I've got some fairly solid actionscripting skills as well. I know a little ASP and a little javascript. But just enough to get by when I need something minor. My current position doesn't really allow me any creative freedom. Which is part of the reason I put up my own site and 2 other personal sites. I'm trying to develop my own design style.

I just was curious. Are there many positions for Flash developers in Tulsa? It's good 2 get the perspective of someone in this field who lives nearby. I'd appreciate any advice or input you have 2 offer.

Thanks.

[Edited by clueless1 on 06-12-2001 at 06:55 PM]

Hey, cool to meet someone from good ol' oki-land!

Well, I really have changed directions 180 degrees to programming, so I am not much into design right now.

I basically am backed-up full of sites to do right now, though most (or all) don't pay, depending how you figure, it is all very complicated to explain. None of them are really local though, several are in Germany for/with a friend. I really don't think there is probably enough pure scripting/web programming work (if you are selective) in just Tulsa.

I really think that there is a lot of midsize businesses that you could get work from in a city like OK city or Tulsa, but you really have to be able to get up and meet people, basically face to face. And a lot of business people are not as nice (i.e. rude) to deal with as they are when THEY are trying to sell you stuff. So be ready for a bit of a shock if you go that way.

Anyway, good luck.
    -Zach