A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Well, ya see....

Red face

O.k , this is the problem >>

I have a swf file embeded in an HTML file on my active desktop, When I use the GetURL command I get a dialog box saying do I wish to download the file..

I am trying to produce a menu system on my wallpaper and have it open up applications such as Flash!

Can anyone help ?

Cheers

What you want can't be done the way you want.. Flash will not allow you to execute commands through a web page..

Why you might ask?
    Because it's major security risk if someone was actually on the Internet

Okay, your not the only one who that wanted to do this.. I have wanted to do this too..

The only eventual work around I was able to come up with was a ActiveX Control you embed the control on the page and then have Flash execute the command through JavaScript

(it's been over a year since I was working on it.. so my memory's sort of faded)

If your familiar with programming you could whip up a ActiveX control in VB or Delphi or C++, you can also download various ActiveX controls for purchasing that do what you want (but that was over a year ago that I looked.. so maybe somebody released some freeware, maybe..)

I was working on developing a control but eventually got routed to other projects..

If you would like I could investigate making you one?
    Is this control just for you or for some kind of distribution?

By the way you can open the download by clicking Open this File from current location.. and that will open your app not download it..
    [Edited by The Master on 08-10-2000 at 02:00 PM]

yeah!

Na its just for me! Well at my work! My whole desktop is getting cramped and I need some sort of interface!

Well Cheers 4 the help!