dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Sending variables

I'm not a programming expert, but I fell home in flash. But I need to get some knowledge about some other script-languages to do what I would like to, maybe you can give me some advice, on which things I have to get familiar whit to be able to do the following senario:

I have made a scene whit some singelframe movieclips, each containing one shape. Each of these can be draged, scaled and duplicated. One guy,( let's call him Steven), is then able to make his individual picture on his own computer in the running swf.-file. Steven can then afterwards send this picture(the variables), to me(a server). Then I'm able to make a new swf-file giving Stevens picture, and I am also able to rework on it.

This is very basic what I what I would like to be able to do. To do so, do I need to use, php, java, generator, or what,??

These guys are doing it, and they are pretty cool. Damn cool
    http://holiday.415.com/damn/card/index.htm

I hope that you can give a newbie me, some advice.

Sending Variables

Hey there,

I'm a relative newbie too, so I'm happy to help you if I can. Unfortunately, I'm not capable of solving this problem in any other language than ASP so I wouldnt be able to tell if it was better in Java or PHP etc.

If you're site is capable of rendering ASP (E.g. if you have IIS running) then you can pass variables to an ASP page from Steve's SWF file, and then any web page (be it ASP or just straight HTML) can pass variables to perhaps the same SWF so that you can modify it from how Steve left it.

If this sounds interesting or useful, then reply and I will let you know in more detail how you could do it.

Jay

thanks for your reply

hej Jay,
    Thanks for your advice. It looks like I have to get familier whit asp. The specific thing I am working on is located here. It's in danich only so far, and the thing have some bugs in it, but if you have any comments or replies I would like to hear it.
    The flash 5 player mess up the picture.

http://www.arkitektgruppen.dk/AAskub/

stigvg@stofanet.dk

Stig

Looks good! It also looks like there'd be tonnes of variables required to store the locations of all those objects!

Its possible to store them all in ASP, but you'd have to use the "POST" method of the GetURL action so that they all stay within the page header rather than the "GET" method where they stay as part of the URL (E.g. http://www.yourpage.com?var1=100,var2=200.....).

The ASP page that you call from your Flash movie then has all the data, and can do whatever you want with it (E.g. use ADO to store it in a SQL server database, or even an access database for ease if you want, you get the idea!).

Once you've stored it in your database, all you have to do on the flash page (not necessarily ASP) is access the database and feed all the variables (Using the SetVariable method of the flash object on the page) to the Flash movie that then lines up all the objects accordingly.

Simple???? Sounds complex, but all you need is a few handy books!
    [Edited by jaygemson on 08-15-2000 at 03:43 AM]