A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: bandwidth (I'm actually not a new member)

Red face

hey...
    This may sound really stupid, but what is it that the bandwidth profiler is showing me? And how is it best used? What does it tell me?
    I just don't quite understand it...
    cheers.
    Jodi

jodi@diecksgroup.com

------------------
    jodi@diecksgroup.com

Lightbulb

The Bandwidth Profiler shows you a great deal of info about the size of your movie. It will give you the apporximate size of each frame in your movie, as well as provide info on load time, total movie size, and total load time (estimated).

The graph is a graphical representation of the size (measured in KB) of each frame of your movie. Spikes in that graph will indicate a very "large" frame.. those are best avoided if you are attempting to play your movie without a preloader (especially near the beginning), as they will be the places where you movie is most likely to pause while it is downloading more data.

Also.. If you select "Show Streaming" from the "Control" menu, Flash will simulate loading the movie from the 'Net at the connection speed that you select (also in the Control menu). This can be <i>very</i> useful for checking load time, and when creating preloaders.

<EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000205.swf" quality=high WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=50 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>