A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Interview with an Animator

Hey all, I've got my first interview posted on Perfectly Functional, and it's with none other than Flash animation guru Dave Jones - with animation so tight you can bounce a quarter off it.

Check it out now:
    http://www.perfectlyfunctional.com/i...davejones.html

Cool stuff dude..!

Good to see there's another flash animator inspired by the works of Jhonen Vasquez.. I can see now how much of his style has been influenced by comics like JTMH and Squee..

Cheers

John

'Lo.

I really enjoyed reading the interview.. you so rarely get any contact from animators other than their work - Which is why we should value this forum so much.

More and more classically trained animators are using Flash now - they're realizing that Flash can help them not just create, but distribute their ideas quickly and to a wide audience.

Originally posted by persistanceofvision
    More and more classically trained animators are using Flash now - they're realizing that Flash can help them not just create, but distribute their ideas quickly and to a wide audience.
    One of the great things about Dave Jones tho is the way he has embraced Flash as a medium and has joined the two forms - not only are his animations great as animations, they are also small in file size and stream over the web.

I hear a few animators explain how they are using Flash as an animation tool then exporting to a more film-friendly format, because "animation made for the web isn't the same as animation made for film". While that may be true, good animation is good animation, and Dave has a touch that has been missing from a lot of modern animation, and the movies taken as they are would not look out of place, say, in a Spike & Mike's animation festival.

Its so nice to see animator's views on animation, their approach to work (and caffinated drinks).

Thanx CNO

[Devil in DarkGreen]

funny style
    DS

Just posted the second interview with Steve Whitehouse of Whitehouse Animation Inc. and the Mr. Man series here:

http://www.perfectlyfunctional.com/i...hitehouse.html

More on the way!

There are some good things (Powerpuff Girls)
    damn right

Originally posted by CNO
    Just posted the second interview with Steve Whitehouse of Whitehouse Animation Inc. and the Mr. Man series here:

http://www.perfectlyfunctional.com/i...hitehouse.html

More on the way!
    Thanks for that link - great interview. There will be courses about Mr. Whitehouse and Joe Cartoon in "Early Internet Animation 101" at our local colleges in 20 years.

Great work CNO. Nice interviews. Really nice to see other folks makin it in Flash.

"Loving you, is like... loving the dead."
    -Type O Negative (Black No.1)