A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: help with preloader please!!!

in my main.swf, there are 10 buttons and each button,
    on(release){
    loadMovie("movie1.swf","_root.blankmc")}

and I put the preloader for the "blankmc" on the _level0

I tried it, but because all the 10 movies loads on the same target, after the first movie, the computer just remembers the percent preloader result of the first movie loaded. therefore when somebody clicks another button that loads movie2.swf to _root.blankmc, the preloader doesn't work for the second time anymore. it starts to go to the next frame even if the movie2 is not yet loaded.

I wanted just one blankmc as target because I will be adding more buttons in the future and I thought this will work coz I read it in one of your tutorial.

how do I force the computer to re-read the bytes loaded of "blankmc" everytime somebody clicks another button?

by the way, I didn't want to unload the movies as well so that the viewer don't have to wait the second time they click a button.

More information Please

If you are still needing help I am needing some more information.

Like instead of the preloader for that mc. Make a preloader in each individual movie in another scene or something, simple preloader in that movie that you are loading, then it will always preload that movie..

There are many ways, depends if your preloader is advanced or simple. Depends on what you are doing.

Suply a little more info , i will help!

Keep Flashing

hi murphster,

okey here's a more detailed explanation,

on my main timeline, I have a movieclip named 'box'. and inside that box movieclip, i have the blank mc where all the external .swf will load.

inside box mc, i have 10 buttons which has an actionscript
    on(release)
    loadMovie("externalmc1.swf","_root.box.blank");
    _root.box.gotoAndPlay("fading_animation");
    _root.gotoAndPlay("preloader");}

and on the "preloader_frame" on the main timeline,
    on ClipEvent(enterFrame){
    bytestotal=_root.box.blank.getBytesTotal();
    bytesloaded=_root.box.blank.getBytesLoaded();
    if (bytesloaded==bytestotal){
    _root.gotoAndPlay("rotate_box");
    _root.box.gotoAndPlay("additional_animation");
    _root.box.empty.gotoAndPlay(2);
    }

well, as you can see, there are various animation happening so I need the external movie to be loaded into the blank mc inside box mc so that it becomes part of the rotating and fading while it's loading.

after much failed tries, I omitted the dynamic text that showed the percent and kb which is inside the box mc. all I have now for the preloader is a loading animation.

I was thinking of putting the preloader on the external .swf individually but I couldn't get around my head if that will work. does that mean, in the external .swf, do I have to put another emptymc for the external movie to load to on the second frame? and use the first frame as a preloader? does ifFrameIsLoaded work inside the movieclip itself?

I hope this is clearer.

thanks