A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Duplicate Movie Clip : A Simple Problem ?

Question

I use the Duplicate Movie Clip instruction to, well, duplicate an instance of a movie clip that is situated on a certain layer.

The problem is that the copy itself doesn't seems to be on the same layer.

Am I right about it ?

I tried to manipulate the depth parameter, but I didn't find anything valuable: I can control the depth of the copies, right, but that's all !

As it is the week end for me, I stop my investigations for now. So if anybody can help

Lightbulb

Duplicated Movie clips are placed <i>on top</i> of all the layers. You can control the depth of the duplicated movie clips, <i>relative to each other</i>. But that is it.

If you need to keep a duplicated movie clip on a particular layer.. then you will have to place the original movie clip inside another movie clip, and duplicate it from inside that movie clip. Then you can place the "parent" movie clip on any layer you like, and the "child" clip will remain on the same layer (of the master timeline, although it will be on the top layer of the "parent" movie clip).

Does that make sense?

<EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000205.swf" quality=high WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=50 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>

Thumbs up

Thanks. It works perfectly !

Flash programming is often tricky I have to modify my script now.. Some problems with the targets and the constraints rectangle..