A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Toon Boom Studio 2D Animation software?

While I am generally pleased with the drawing and animation tools in flash, Apple.com has an interesting article about this 2d animation software that exports to .swf. Has anyone tried using this yet? They have a free public beta but you need either a pc of mac os X

thier site where you can get a free beta version
    http://www.toonboomstudio.com/

the apple article
    http://www.apple.com/creative/stories/leonardi/

I used toonboom before. It's funky to use with a sort of "2D Animation" users interface...in other words if you're not used to doing traditional 2d animation in a studio the GUI can be confusing. I was lost for a while. Afterwards it does export .SWF but the export is not very smooth at high resoliutions [close up] Lots of hard edges and less curvers. I think you can mess with the export settings or something...but I just use flash. Also [of course] toonboom just does animation...anything other than that and you're on your own...whereas flash has like well [Web, Illustration, Programming ,etc...etc..]

I totally checked out alot of the traditional 2d animation packages at Siggraph 2000. I actually won a few art contests while I was there checking out software. Ehh...whatever. Anyways point being that I saw software from 20,000 a piece to 500 dollars and not one of them could offer me any real advantage over what I can already do with flash and then after effects. Something like....2d animators have always done it this way so it makes sense to them. I am so not traditionally minded at all sooo....flash and after effects make soo much more sense to me than that.

But that's just my seven cents I could be wrong.

Toon Boom is also a little pricey- It costs as more than Flash. Its okay but the price and availability of other tools makes it less desirable. Pretty much my conclusions on the tool are the same as dementia7's.

If you are looking for an animator tool that exports as SWF then look at Moho, Poser4, Linker Animation Stand Pro(On sale right now- it exports as SWF and as video. SWF Export is not functional in the free version though), MOHO (They improved on thier SWF export), Live Motion, and KoolMoves.

It is however another SWF tool for the Mac OSX and that is a bonus...

A side note here is that After Effects will be getting SWF export so...

I hadn't the Toon Boom stuff yet (seen demos though).I'll try the Beta and let you know what I think. Another 2D program Toonz apparently will have a SWF export also. I don't know about any demo 's though. The interface is alot like a spreadsheet. If you've used one or an animation dope sheet it's easy. But also this is pricey as well. The educational version of both run somewhere 2000 US with the professional at 5000 US.