A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Graphics Tablets/Pads

I want a graphics tablet so I can draw my graphics with my hand rather then my mouse, I need one that can(of course) work with Flash 5, NOT a USB port, and able to get it under or equal to $100, and at either Circut City, Best Buy, or CompUSA

Any particular reason why you dont want it to have a USB interface? Im just curious because one of those is definitely in my future and I figured USB would be the best solution because I didnt think that a drawing tablet would stress the bandwidth limitations of the interface.

In a cavern, in a canyon,
    Excavating for a mine,
    Dwelt a miner, forty-niner
    And his daughter Clementine.
    Oh my darling, Clementine

Serial Connection ...

Wacom Graphire

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Serial Connection......

Any particular reason why that one is the better choice of the two? Its the cheaper of the two, so its a strong contender right off the bat, but Im just wondering what advantages/disadvantges you come across with either one.

Excavating for a mine,

Originally posted by Falloutboy20

Any particular reason why that one is the better choice of the two? Its the cheaper of the two, so its a strong contender right off the bat, but Im just wondering what advantages/disadvantges you come across with either one.
    I don't know ~ perhaps he's using NT 4 ?

But would you say that other than support for USB by your OS, you get the same level of performance out of both? Ill be using W2Kpro so either one will work. Im more curious about how well it works more so than having compatiblity with old operating systems.

Excavating for a mine,

I don't know ... I don't see any issues with performance. I have a serial connected to one comp and a USB connected to laptop -- there is no degradation or marked difference in performance with either one. They're pretty much about the same.

Your worried about profomance of a Tablet? How much bandwidth do you think it takes to send cowardinates (sp?)? It' not like we're talking about a HD here. Just get a Wacom Graphire USB cause who knows how long they will keep making comps with serial ports and if you ever have to get a mac it will work on there too. Just some thoughts. Peace,

"Your worried about profomance of a Tablet? How much bandwidth do you think it takes to send cowardinates?"

I dont know really, thats why I asked. You're talking to me like I already own one. Ive NEVER used one. Im just trying to avoid any pitfalls....its a pretty standard thing to do when beginning a new endeavor.

Excavating for a mine,

Originally posted by Falloutboy20

I dont know really, thats why I asked. You're talking to me like I already own one. Ive NEVER used one. Im just trying to avoid any pitfalls....its a pretty standard thing to do when beginning a new endeavor.

No problem Falloutboy Best route to go is always - if you don't know ~ ask If you're thinking of getting one, I'd highly recommend it ... has made PS even more fun to work with

Well I have windows 2000 and it's "built on NT software" so I'm not exactly sure what I have. I don't want a USB port beacause mine doesn't work, it's "disabled" for some reason, and, umm I forgot if there were any unanswered questions left .

oh yeah, and pressure sensitivity is also a must for me .

Excavating for a mine,

Originally posted by cheesemold
    oh yeah, and pressure sensitivity is also a must for me .
    You might try looking in your BIOS settings and seeing if your USB ports are enabled there.

And actually, of the tablets, the Wacom Intuos is your best bet, especially if you're concerned with levels of sensitivity. They cost a little more than the Graphire, but they're worth it If it's just out of your range, period, then the Graphire is a decent substitute

HTH

BIOS? Whats that?