dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How do I prevent browsers from cacheing my swf?

I'm trying to create a private swf. How can I prevent my swf file from "cache - ing" in someones browser?

CACHING

As far as I know, it isn't really possible. Caching goes a little beyond browser specific functions (although the browser can be customized not to cache). Actually, all programs using the Win32 API to retrieve files off the net can optionally use the caching system provided by the OS.

Of course, if you are adventurous....you can probably use ASP / CGI to deliver the SWF with the proper content type, and ASP / CGI page data isn't cached (well...at least not in the same way HTML is cached). Basically, you would have to read the SWF byte-by-byte with the ASP code and output it to the browser (and set the proper content-type, etc). Then, you would simply link to that cgi program instead of SWF. I've never seen it done, but you could try it. Still, there is no real "fool-proof" solution, just about anything can be bypassed.

--Jesse

Beat The Cache

I find that placing action script on the last frame of the movie allows the swf to refresh preventing a cache effect. It works for me...
    serk

Edit your html code directly so the reference is for example: www.page.com/mc.swf change it to www.page.com/mc.swf?(some number and use a function that makes it random). Try it. see what happens when you add ?1 to the end of a page. You'll still go to the same page but the webbrowser will think that it's a different one and load it from source.

I like that last suggestion, however could it be applied to a .TXT file that is being utilized by the SWF? ..so that the .TXT file 'DE-caches' each time the page is loaded?

I use the following Actionscript to load the TXT in the first frame of the piece (it's a rotating banner header [not an ad]):

if (base_url != null) {
    var dataPath = "/elements/swf/data/init.txt";
    }
    else {
    var dataPath = "data/init.txt";
    }

Thanks kindly!

Thanks kindly!
    Last edited by zornfett; 04-27-2006 at 03:37 PM.

It's the same. In fact I can help you with flash. Like this:
    Code:
    if (base_url != null) {
    var dataPath = "/elements/swf/data/init.txt?"+random(999999);
    }
    else {
    var dataPath = "data/init.txt?"+random(999999);
    }
    The random number makes it unlikely to load it from the cache because of it hitting the same number again.

Quote Originally Posted by swak
    The random number makes it unlikely to load it from the cache because of it hitting the same number again.
    If you want it truly unique you can use the Date object. You can even make it so that it loads the cached version only if it is on the same hour or day or year, etc. This way you can take advantage of the user's cache while still being a recent version.

Code:
    myDate = new Date();
    dayOfMonth = myDate.getDate();
    Check your help files for all the other ones (getMinutes, getSeconds, etc)

~MD

That works too.

isnt there some PHP (or javascript) header that you can use to prevent the browser from catching?

Quote Originally Posted by joran420
    isnt there some PHP (or javascript) header that you can use to prevent the browser from catching?
    There is but it's not reliable and somethimes ignored by the browsers.