A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looks like Bill Gates has done it again

Lightbulb

Just read this:
    Two of the state attorneys general who spearheaded the antitrust case against Microsoft say the software giant "may be repeating its efforts to maintain and extend its monopoly" by bundling features into its newest operating system.
    Attorneys General Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut and Tom Miller of Iowa issued a terse news release Wednesday afternoon saying they have "serious concerns" about Microsoft's "very troubling" strategy for its Windows XP operating system, which will debut in the fall.

However, Blumenthal and Miller dismissed reports that they are preparing to file a second antitrust lawsuit against Microsoft.

Their statements accompany mounting complaints from antitrust experts that the Redmond, Wash.-based software giant is still using the type of monopolistic business tactics that sparked the original antitrust case, currently under review by the U.S. District Court of Appeals, which is expected to rule soon.

Microsoft's decision to bundle Internet Explorer into the operating system was the foundation for the antitrust case now under appeal. The attorneys general for 19 states and the Justice Department sued the company in 1998 alleging it used its monopoly in the operating system market to capture the Net browser market.

Critics say the company is reverting to old tactics by loading Windows XP with features such as instant messaging and Smart Tags, which gives Microsoft some greater control over consumers' Internet use. Windows is the operating system on roughly 92 percent of all personal computers around the world.

"Microsoft is a more powerful monopoly then ever before they have three separate monopolies," said Mike Pettit, president of ProComp, an organization backed by Microsoft rivals Oracle, Sun Microsystems, America Online and others. ProComp leaders discussed Microsoft on Wednesday at the annual summer meeting of state attorneys general in Vermont.

"We were just explaining to them the way Microsoft is using its multiple monopolies, which are interlocked, both to protect those monopolies and expand them and, ultimately, to control the Internet," Pettit said.

Blumenthal and Miller dismissed a report published earlier Wednesday by The Associated Press saying the pair is preparing to file a second antitrust lawsuit against the software giant.

"We have no current plans for a second lawsuit," Blumenthal and Miller said in the statement. "We would never completely rule out a new suit, but our focus now is on the antitrust case that already is before the courts."

Microsoft dismissed the attorneys' general concerns, noting that the newest operating system was designed to "deliver the best experience to users," not necessarily to force out rivals.

"It is unfortunate our competitors continue to spread misinformation about Microsoft's products," said Microsoft spokesman Jim Cullinan. "That seems to be their only strategy, to invest in lobbying regulators rather than innovating and improving their products."

Message to the White House
    Attorneys and antitrust experts speculated that the statements from Blumenthal and Miller are meant to send a message to the Bush administration.

"There's a great deal of consternation among the attorney general ranks as to whether the new administration will support the current case," said Daniel M. Wall, chair of the antitrust department of San Francisco-based law firm Latham & Watkins. "By saying that they're going to bring an action for a similar practice is sort of a way of saying that they remain committed to the original case and that come what may, they're going to keep pursuing the original case."

Many observers expect the new administration to be easy on Microsoft after the appeals decision is issued, possibly allowing a settlement that leaves the company in one piece.

Last June, U.S. District Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson ordered that Microsoft be split into two separate companies, one specializing in software and Web products--such as Outlook, Internet Explorer, BackOffice and the Microsoft Network (MSN)--and another specializing in operating systems.

The U.S. District Court of Appeals is reviewing Jackson's decision and is widely expected to roll back many of his harsher penalties.

"They're implicitly saying they're probably going to lose," economics professor Stanley J. Liebowitz said of the anti-Microsoft statements issued Wednesday by Blumenthal and Miller. "They don't think there's a chance in hell Judge Jackson's decision's going to stand, because if it were they wouldn't have to do this because Microsoft would be split."

Liebowitz, who teaches at the University of Texas at Dallas and is co-author of "Winners, Losers, and Microsoft: Competition and Antitrust in High Technology," said the statements were a last-minute effort to build momentum for a cause that many people think is lost.

"Let's say you've got a prisoner who's facing the death penalty and then an attorney brings up another charge against the criminal," Liebowitz said. "Why would you bring up another charge if you think the guy's going to be put to death? There are people in Washington talking about just throwing out the (Microsoft) case. That's got to be pretty scary for the attorneys general."

Pro-Microsoft appeal?
    Those in favor of breaking up Microsoft have become especially concerned about a pro-Microsoft appeals decision in recent weeks as Microsoft executives have boosted their lobbying forces and forged alliances in Washington, D.C.

Last month, two lobbying groups unveiled studies claiming that Microsoft has not stifled competition. The report from The Association for Competitive Technology and the Computing Technology Industry Association was a rebuttal of criticism from Microsoft rivals Oracle and Sun Microsystems, which charged that XP Microsoft.Net Web services strategy would force its technologies on Internet users.

Meanwhile, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer paid a "courtesy call" Tuesday to Vice President Dick Cheney to discuss a range of issues but did not bring up the imminent appellate ruling.

Ballmer is visiting the nation's capital for two days of meetings with members of Congress and major customers, said Microsoft spokeswoman Ginny Terzano. On Wednesday morning Ballmer addressed a work force summit hosted by the Department of Labor, speaking primarily about Microsoft's efforts to prepare workers for the high-tech work environment.

Others dismiss the statements by the attorneys general as little more than political posturing.

"My initial reaction is, are these guys running for reelection?" said Luke M. Froeb, associate professor of management and former economist to the antitrust division of the Justice Department. "It could be a bunch of free publicity."

CapTy99.com Webmaster
    some people may not like ms that much. but u have 2 admit, they are genius w/ strategy.

Retired *********
    microsoft deserves all of their profits....sure they are a monopoly...but they deserve it!

FK Official Postman
    Originally posted by capty99
    some people may not like ms that much. but u have 2 admit, they are genius w/ strategy.
    Yep especially gates. Although, you have to admit that iE is better than NN, because of stability (although IE stiil crashes, IE6 seems more stable than ie5 and NN6/6.1)

Business: good

Product: ****ing ****

Bill Gatez: The Devil, and if you want, the monster under your bed.

I'm gonna switch to Slackware linux..

but seriously, I'm gonna put it on an old computer to see if I could get used to it

FK Hardware Freak
    Emperor of Invincible Sand Castles

Originally posted by Dowenger
    microsoft deserves all of their profits....sure they are a monopoly...but they deserve it!
    I must agree that they deserve it, they do have lots of stratagy.

Damn Right!
    Best viewed on a monitor

Dear Bill,

Great work!
    No matter what all these people say.. I still Love you!

With respect,

Your friend, Cruise.

FlashKit ShapeShifter
    Originally posted by Dowenger
    I must agree that they deserve it, they do have lots of stratagy.
    [/QUOTE]

As if they deserve it. Have you seen the new Windows XP? They copied a load of ideas from Mac OS X (see http://www.apple.com). They even got sued by Apple for copying their ideas of a GUI interface when they made the first Windows OS.Apple were the first to make a GUI on an OS then Microsoft goes and copies it. Don't you think it's not fair for Apple. They go to all that trouble and Microsoft just takes their ideas and adapt it for themselves.
    It's just like making a great website and then someone else copies it and just adapts it for themselves
    What Microsoft do is copy other people's ideas. They don't have taste and they don't use their own ideas because they have none.

Drum & Bass Addict
    thats kinda dumb saying ms cant think of thier own ideas cause windows is like the apple os...yea and every co that makes a 2 button mouse and a rectangle keyboard copied imb and evey flash site that uses draggable mini windows copies 2advanced.com....blablabla

Originally posted by ocps
    thats kinda dumb saying ms cant think of thier own ideas cause windows is like the apple os...yea and every co that makes a 2 button mouse and a rectangle keyboard copied imb and evey flash site that uses draggable mini windows copies 2advanced.com....blablabla

didn't 2advanced.com copy the dragable windows from the microsoft OS who copied the apple OS?

They should all be sued.

Originally posted by ammaar
    Originally posted by ocps
    **** off.

very intelligent, you've improved on the conversation.

Former Employee of Satan Napalm's Avatar
    Microsoft deserve the monopoly they have. Bill Gates is a brilliant guy and the way any business man should be: TOTALLY RUTHLESS.

woah thats one big quote..... uh read it..... um i'll just say bill gates rules... can u blame him for wanting to control the market? we all saw the way he buys companies on the simpsons

I get a little tired of hearing everyone complain about Microsoft. I find it hilarious that here most of sit, complaining away, on a Microsoft operating system, with a Microsoft Browser, designing our code so it works well with Microsoft. All this is happening while there are plenty of other software developers out there that are BEGGING for our dollars to help them take some real estate away from Microsoft.

Listen, if Microsoft is erally that bad, quit buying their stuff. Quit using their support, quit using their machines, quit using their software and go buy something else.

You know why people don't? Because Microsoft really does have a good product with good support at a good price.

Go ahead. Say what you want, and then go back and sit in front of your Windows.

Personally, I could care less whose name is slapped all over the products. I use what works best for me. It just happens to be about 70% Microsoft.

hi ammaar,
    actually, bill gates worked on the mac os and that's where he came up w/ a GUI. so when he started developing for PC, he (rightfully) used his idea again.

Originally posted by JabezStone

Go ahead. Say what you want, and then go back and sit in front of your Windows.

Personally, I could care less whose name is slapped all over the products. I use what works best for me. It just happens to be about 70% Microsoft.

Preach it, Stone- LOL
    I agree- I personally like Mac better for my stuff, but as long as it gets the job done for me, I don't really care.
    I actually put Virtual PC on my Mac so I have Mac OS9 and Windows 98-- I'm just one happy camper!

CapTy99.com Webmaster
    i dont know about you guys but i find the stat of 92 % of comps running windows astounding. first of all , snaps 2 microsoft, but what about all the others, i thought linux was gaining some ground , and apple has to have a little bit of the pie.

IMO they should keep suing microsoft until they break it into a million tiny companies all competing with each other.

the reason i dislike microsoft is because they take away choice. that's why a monopoly is bad. i don't want to have to use just one OS, just one browser, or just one media player. i don't want a microsoft logo on every product i buy. if left to run amuck with all his plans Billy would bully out all of the competition and we would be left with no variety. he's lied and cheated his way into his money and that's not something i intend to support. so i say again!

Buy a MAC!
    Use Netscape, Opera, or Neoplanet!
    Run MacOS, Linux, or Unix (or any other OS for that matter)

it is us ultimately who decided which computer dominated the industry, just like it's us deciding right now which browser is going to come out on top in the end.

nuff said

I think Linux is the way to go, but more software is on the mac than on Linux, right?

but Linux is free.. I think i'll try it before I go out and spend money on a Mac