A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Need 3D MAX Objects WITHOUT Background

resolved

I have Swift 3D and 3D Studio Max. I'm trying to create simple objects in 3D Studio Max, then import them into Swift WITHOUT the background, [because otherwise, as you must know, you just end up with a solid rectangle]. I'm pretty new to 3D Max, so I don't really know what the hell I'm doing yet. I thought by saving the objects as .EPS files, that would do it, but they still come out with the background.

How do you create objects in 3D Studio Max without the background, then import them into Swift? I have two books on Max, and neither of them seem to address this issue.

Thanks for the help. Metrov

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

You are using the term, 'background' in a very confusing manner. Have you tried exporting the MAX scene to .3DS (File | Export) and then imporing that into Swift 3D?

good luck!

I create a cube object in 3D Max -- just a plain old cube in any color. If I do not specify a background color, the default background color is black. That's what I mean when I say background. That 'black' color behind the cube object.

I will try fooling around some more, and see what I can do with .3ds format.

Thanks

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

OK, that's what I thought, but was not sure. Just export your file to .3DS and import into Swift3D. The environment background is not exported. You can test this. Place something in your scene. Select Rendering | Environment and change the background color to white. Export your scene and reset MAX. Import the same .3DS file and select Rendering | Environment. It will be the default black.

Swift is a vector, not raster renderer and would not care about the environment background anyway.

good luck!

I'm not sure what's going on now. I've exported a simple cylinder as a .3DS file. But when I try to import it into Swift, it does not show up as an importable file. I've tried exporting a couple of different objects as .3DS files, but they don't show up in the directory when I try to import into Swift. The files I've exported as .EPS files show up, but when I import them, they import the entire background color which results in an object that is a solid rectangle, losing the 3D object all together.

Another note which makes me suspicious: When I open the directory on my hard drive where my .3DS files have been saved, they have the Windows logo on them. I'm not sure what the .3DS files are supposed to look like, but I suspect they aren't suposed to have the Windows logo on them, I dunno.

I'm starting to wonder if my 3D Max program has a corrupt element or something.

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

E-mail me your exported .3DS file. I will import it into MAX and Swift3D myself.

thanks.

File emailed to info@2112fx.com

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

and the problem was resolved - a simple misunderstanding of the Swift interface. Time to shut this one down.