dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: about www.heavy.com ?

Ok, i guess most of you guys have seen this site, i htink it is great (both flash producing and content).

I always wondered how they afford to stick these huge and good quality bitmaps (i guess jpegs...).

Is there any way to compress quite well avoiding the dirty blur that comes out when it is too compressed ?

If not, that must be why heavy.com is a broadband site

I'd also like to know what are the properties/advantages of the PNG format ? Is fireworks the best soft to create them ? Does it work well with flash ?

Best regards

Antoine

Heavy is a very tight site... actually, if I recall correctly the guy is from Sheridan College.

I think the key is in the preloading... it's possible to do so... but the original art has to be quite nice to begin with. If you notice, it resizes when you resize the window...

PNG format is in replacement of the gif file. I can't remember the story... but the gif compression was designed by so and so... so and so said that anyone using this format has to pay the company a fee of some sort.

Fireworks makes em nice... as does most any other software... the advantages of fireworks is that it's a macromedia product and the insertion into flash is that much better. You get all the nice anti-aliased edges and your graphic will look good on any background you choose - no jagged edges... maybe that's what heavy is using.
    I've seen more and more designers using the png file format... do a little research...

Smile Thanks for the answer

Thanks theususal,
    I'm gonna have a closer look on that png thing...
    Anyone uses it often and know how does it differ from a mere gif file ?

Also i'd like to know what jpeg and mp3 compression you guys use most when exporting your flash movies... Actually it is more the mp3 rate that interest me on this question... I start to be bored of loops, but a whole song is heavy...

Give me you opinion please !

Cheeers

Antoine

Jpeg is usually around 65...

Mp3 is usually mono at 16... the stereo takes up too much space and you can go into the edit sound through flash and pan back and forth to simulate the stereo sound without doubling or tripling the size of your sound file.

Also look into the streaming abilities of sound files...