A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: SDK and C++ help

I'm not a C++ programmer beyond some basic stuff from college. I need to learn how to use the SDK, though. It wasn't so difficult to pick up, but I was having trouble with getting text to display using the SDK classes.

I don't want to create a glyph for each letter I need to use, and I'd like to, if possible, take advantage of existing fonts. I've only been looking at this for a couple of days, but I haven't figured out how to get text to display with an existing font like Arial or Tahoma. Please remember that my C++ knowledge is limited when replying.

Thanks in advance...

resolved

I have written font classes that will do the TTF conversion work for you (assuming Win32 based system) and set up bounding rects, etc. They can be used or modified to do anything SWISH can do (and much more if you have an imagination) and they are currently FREE for the use of anyone. I upload new versions of the code to the Macromedia forum whenever I put out some updates. If you can convince FlashKit to put up a source code section, I will upload it here also.

If you want to do it yourself, here is what you have to do.

1) Use the system to "Get Glyph Ouline"
    2) Calculate bounding rects and position offsets
    2) Convert Outline to Shape record

Only those three steps...the problem is that both the SDK and the get font glyph stuff from MS are poorly documented, so it takes a lot of persistance.

--Jesse

Sounds very interesting, I'll see what I can do.

FK founder & general loiterer Flashkit's Avatar
    We will be adding soon a source code section to support
    the new flash .as scripts, I think it will be an easy extension to add other languages as well!

Smile Hi guys

hi JAEzell,

could you do me a favour. Can you pls mail me the latest versions of the font class code...

my email "vigneshis@hotmail.com"

TIA
    Krimson