dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: opening mac .fla in Windows

Hello!

I've recently been sent a .fla (5.0) from a friend who has a Mac. I have a PC (win 2000 if that matters at all), and have been unable to open this file. I've tried opening it with Flash 5.0 and 4.0, but am only greeted with an "unexpected file format" message. My friend saved his .fla in 4.0 format, but I still got the same results.

Has anyone heard of a successful windows opening of a macintosh .fla? (and if so, how it was accomplished?)

Thank you in advance!

Should work fine as long as you stick to PC naming conventions:

1. The file name MUST end in '.fla'
    2. Try to use only letters,numbers and "-" and "_" in the file name - no spaces.

This should work.

I appreciate the input, but unfortunately the file was already named according to those conventions.

Thanks anyway!

How did you transfer the fla file from Mac-->PC. If you were using FTP make sure you have binary mode turned on at both ends, for best results use dropStuff on the mac to make a stuffit archive and stuffit expander on the PC to extract the file.

Thanks

Luke

Hello...

It was sent via email. I will try your stuffit suggestion though. Thanks!

If you are using Eudora there is a setting at the top of each message that lets you choose how it is encoded. Some PC's can decode these messages properly, turn on baloon help and choose ""

another option is to grab the attachment and put it through Sutffit on the PC, it might sort out whatever your email client has done to the file and return it to its rightful state.

Thanks

Luke

Sorry that should be choose 'Binhex' or 'Mime' for Eudora.

Thanks

Luke

Outlook does that too.

To send to almost all Windows computers, choose Mime/Base64 or something like that - whatever has Mime in it.

Thanks - we tried this, and the error message still prevails. We've decided that there must something strange and unique to that specific file that must be preventing me from opening it, as he sent me another file of his that I was able to open just fine (using the suggested naming conventions and suggested email specifications).

I appreciate all the input and suggestions!
    Thank you!