A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 3MB and growing .fla SLOW

Hi everyone, I'm working on what will be a very detailed .swf with masks, actionScripting and everything. I have a good outline, size 3MB, going but when I try to add detail, the system slows down to a stop. It took 20 minutes to do a simple ctrl+V! I am using Win98 (not by choice, believe me) on a 60MB RAM, 500hz machine. Video card is standard, I think I may have to get a graphics card but I want some informed advice before I request $200 from my client (or spend it myself). Thanks!

I was having weird problems too for a while. They kinda fix themselves. Anyway, I noticed that when I started getting over 80 items in the library weird things started happening. So I created folders in the library for pics, buttons, MCs, and graphics and put them all in their respective folders and that seemed to do it.

3 megs? Hah, that's nothing. I've routinely been involved in projects that end up with >50M .FLA files...

The solution we found at Spmc was to regularly do a 'save as' rather than a normal save. This seems to make Flash produce a more compact, cleaned-up .fla, and also provides some backup for when Flash occasionally just toasts a file. Just stick an ever-increasing version number on the filename.

If this doesn't help, here's another workaround that sometimes does the trick: open the crotchety file and select all frames, create a new movie and paste frames in. Save the new file, quit Flash, then try the new file.

He is totaly right about transferring your frame's over to a new movie.

I am working on a project now that had a .fla size of 61.9 megs, and all kinds of crazy stuff was happening with Flash, from slow running to not selecting unused items in the library. Basicly it just ran like crap. After I moved all frame's over to a new movie, everything ran like a brand new car, and the same .fla that was 61.9 megs, now was only 1.3 megs, and still contained the same stuff in it.. Strange ain't it.. I make it a habit of doing this now, before I publish the final .swf.

Camel

I'm very interested in this. so you copy all the layers and frames from each scene into a new fla and it gets smaller?

I'm not certain it gets smaller, but it does make Flash work a lot better. Flash has some major memory management issues in general, and I suspect fixing these problems is very low on Macromedia's priority list - I distinctly recall a question and answer somewhere in their tech support area that went along these lines:

Q: Flash falls over and dies all the time when I try making really huge projects!
    A: Don't make big projects then. Use Director instead.

Save As regularly will help avoid these problems until someone at Macromedia actually gets some clues about garbage collection...

Same here, I'm not certain it will make any .fla smaller, but when you have a file thats well over the size you know it should be, then most of the time simply moving it over to a new and fresh movie will help it out a lot. At least so I have noticed. :-)

Camel

Layers

Originally posted by The Real Renee
    I'm very interested in this. so you copy all the layers and frames from each scene into a new fla and it gets smaller?
    Thanks for writing!
    I'm building a stadium-type marquee, where the text slides into a little window with a graphic frame-but that's not causing the problem, as far as I can see. So far I only have one scene with about five layers so far, with one layer that's going to be modified to be full of little moving figures-THAT's the one that's causing all the problems!

Save as

Thanks cranky, I just love Spumco!! Wish I could afford Director, it costs how much?? but I'm going to try your ideas and see if it helps. Hope so

Re: Save as

Originally posted by macbusker
    Thanks cranky, I just love Spumco!! Wish I could afford Director, it costs how much?? but I'm going to try your ideas and see if it helps. Hope so
    Despite being older than Flash, Director is poop. I'm currently engaged in some contract programming, rewriting some very badly done simple Director games. Originally I was going to stay with Director, but the more I learnt about Director, the less I wanted to even touch it. It's way awkward. So I'm just redoing them in Flash 5 and making Director 8.5 wrappers.