A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: browser forward / back buttons

Disclaimer:
    This is just me thinking out loud, and looking for feedback to se how/if it could be done.

Ok:
    I have been reading a lot of anti-flash usability articles lately. Some (most?) seem pretty right on.. but they seem like things that Flash designers could work-around... actually use Flash as a tool to improve web usability.

One such issue is the usage of the browser's forward / back buttons. Here is my idea on how to get them to work with an all Flash site.

If the site was structured so that it was two frames - one would contain the Flash movie and would take up all but one pixel of the screen. The second frame (the "invisible" one) would load a new HTML page when a button in Flash is clicked and then use SetVariable to change a variable that Flash movie (seperate frame) would use to tell it what page to go to. If a visitor clicked the "back" button on their browser, the small frame would change (right?) which would load the last html file in there, telling the Flash movie to go back to the scene/frame that it had been on... The flash movie wouldnt work outside of the frames, since it is depending on the variable from JavaScript, but in theory, this would work... of course Im probably forgetting something or overlooking something because otherwise this would seem like a pretty easy usability work-around for a Flash site, and I havent seen it done (to my knowledge).

Any thoughts? Ideas? Any JavaScript / Actionscript Guru want to give it a shot?

-Charles Hinshaw

hi Charles,

yes mate ur right, ur logic is worth giving a try, but mostly in flash we provide the back button, if the user wants to go back to the navigation menu . but i understand u have a different reason to it.

anyways have a look at my site it is a browser interface, and u might like it
    http://www.tomatorocks.com

regards
    FaridV