A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: advice on a tutoring gig:

Smile

Hi. I just wanted to get your advices on how much I should charge for a teaching gig.

The details:
    1. My friend's mom wants me to teach her son how to construct webpages.
    2. Its my first teaching job.
    3. I also need the money.
    4. I decided that an hourly rate would be best.

The problem:
    1. I really don't know how much to charge. What's the standard? How much do you guys charge when asked to teach someone else to design?

I'm not sure if this is related, but I'm basically going to teach the kid everything I know - from hard-coding html and using Ultradev to Photoshop and Freehand to PHP and ColdFusion to design principles and stuff that I've picked up during work.

Thanks in advance guys. Really appreciate the help.

This is definately outside the realm of normal work, you're in a bad position to charge industry wages..

How good of a teacher are you? Will you prepare material & homework for him?

How long do you think the entire time spent teaching will be?

I used to teach guitar for $10/hour when I was in college. Mainly because it taught me how to teach and interact with a student.

Food for thought.

If you're getting something out if it..let that influence you, however, the technologies you've listed will take some time to teach..

If you're a replacement for formal training (not that you can't provide that, I'm talking about acredited programs)
    then you should charge less than if they went somewhere else, but way more than a favor.

Hope that helps,
    Tom

Teaching is hard.

Id this kid a computer idiot or does he know some basic concepts.

Be patient also. Never get mad or yell or hint that he's stupid.

The Minister of No Crap

I guess it depends on how much you can teach her in an hour. Its a really sticky situation since you're friends with her. I'm teaching a guy right now at $25 an hour. That is being really generious on my part too.

Let us know how it turns out.

-scott
    http://www.scottmanning.com