dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: can you create an AI or EPS file in Paint Shop Pro 7?

Godfather of SWiSH

I have paint shop pro 7.0 and now I have the awesome Swift v 1.0 (until I get used to it then on to 2.0) I noticed that in paint shop pro you can save your file as an AI and EPS format. SO I tried to do a quick test to see if this worked and I can't seem to get it right. Since Swift can import only outline I made my logo in stokes and no fills. This was all done on a transparent background and also tried on a white background. I imported it into swift and THANK goodness I have 512 MB of Ram cause it took a few secs to get it to import the file. Then all I saw was a solid rectangle????

Any ideas????
    I will also do some serching. I did the tutorials on the erain.com site and I have learned alot in a small amount time. But if I can get this Paint shop to work with this program I would be so happy!

Thanks for your time

BTW Hi Wcoleman how have you been my friend???

L8R

J4J - good to see you,

I have not been very happy with the way that PSP (my favorite graphics program) saves in ai or eps format. I think that the problem is that these formtas lose their vector information when saved in PSP. However, if you get a file that does import into Swift3D, try going to Arrange and see if you can Ungroup (if you import a group you should not have settings available on teh left hand list for bevel, size etc.). If so, click somewhere on the layout, but away from the figure, so that nothing is selected. Now click on the outermost portion of the figure and bevel and sizing etc. should show in the list at the left. In Sizing change the depth from 0.05 to something smaller (I usually do 0.02). When you apply this, the "hidden" portions of the figure should begin to appear (still gray but with a slightly different tint) and you can now select these and apply effects and colors to them.

(I now use Zoner Draw 4 - http://www.zoner.com - almost exclusively for making ai and eps figures.)

Peace,

Flick

Originally posted by JazzMan_4_Jesus
    ....and now I have the awesome Swift v 1.0 (until I get used to it then on to 2.0)
    Just a brief thought - if you can swing it now why not go straight to version 2 - the improvements are quite dramatic - ones that I appreciate the most are:

precise position and rotation point settings

expanded set of primitives (with great control over variations)

retention of color in vector objects on import

the extrustion and lathe editors

the speed of the new renderer

separation of the animation mode from the object editing mode

I am not sure there is any benefit to learning 1 then moving to 2 if you can move now.

Peace,

Flick

Godfather of SWiSH
    (I now use Zoner Draw 4 - http://www.zoner.com - almost exclusively for making ai and eps figures.)

Peace,

Flick
    [/B]
    I now have zoner Draw 4.0 trial can you walk me through what to do to save a file as a eps or ai file I keep getting a freaking SOLID rectangle on import????

thanks

L8R

I made two files to help with this - they are zipped at http://www.wellesley.edu/Chemistry/F...quarestars.zip - the ai file was made in ZonerDraw and exported as an ai file (with both export options checked). It is a square with 4 5-pointed stars in it.

Import that into Swift3D and you will see only a square, but you will notice that in the list on the left there is no bevel or material or sizing etc.

Click on Arrange and the Ungroup.

Click on main workspace but outside of the square. The bounding box should go away. Now click on the square (near the edge to avoid the stars) and a bounding box should appear, and bevel etc. should also appear on the left-hand list.

Click on Sizing, change the depth to 0.01 and apply. The stars should now be visible. Now you can work on any of the five elements - the square and any of the stars. In the swf file I included in the zip file I have colored each element a different color and applied a spin to each star (a different spin to each). You could delete the square and just have the stars. If you want the square to go back to its original thickness you could do that after making any decisions about the stars, you could animate the square or what have you.

Give this a try and see if it works.

Peace,

Flick

Godfather of SWiSH

Smile

it worked but not they way that you said LOL. I imported the file and then ungrouped it I still see the square so then I said to myself SELF lets try to move the square and low and behold the stars were right behind the square

I then made my own shapes with the limited shape tools of Zoner and I exported as .ai and then imported into SWIFT and it worked! I just wish that zoner had more drawing tools?? do they?

thanks for the hem,l Flick!

L8R

J4J,

Just one point so I/we don't confuse anyone. I drew the square in this figure so I could talk about how to get rid of it, or at leaset reveal what was underneath (and you found another great way of doing this). If you just draw the 4 stars in Zoner (or Freehand) and export them, and on import to Swift choose filled shapes only, you get just the 4 stars and no square. It all depends on what you want in your final image/animation.

Peace,

Flick

Godfather of SWiSH

Smile

Sweet! your a great help my friend! Its nice to see that the swift forum is as helpful as the swish forum.

I am working (trying to decide on a new footer 3D of course LOL

L8R