A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: POSITIONING....

Smile

Can somebody please give me some advice on
    setting X and Y position of new MCs....
    I have no problem bringing a clip in on a new level of an original movie, but setting its position is another story. Also, how do I determine what the X and Y position should be numerically???
    Thanks in advance, I know you smart people know this one!+)

Hack

Lightbulb

There's basically two issues here, as I see it.

One, how do you know the reference of a movie clip you just loaded, and Two, how do you know what numbers to use to set its position?

For the first question, you can use the object viewer when you Test Movie (just hit ctrl-L). That will give you the absolute reference to your movie. Or, have the movie clip set a variable, and look for it in the variable viewer when you Test Movie (ctrl-alt-v).

Secondly, the simplest way to find out the present coordinates of your movie clip is to use the Get Property action.

Something like this:

Set Variable ("xpos" = Get Property ( target, _x))

Then just

Set Property ("target", X Position)= xpos + xmove

to move your movie clip. Do the same for the y value, of course.

Smile

So--wait, one more thing...
    Does the movie clip being targeted need to be positioned on its own? I mean, if I want a position to be filled on Level 1 of the main movie, does MCa need to be created in its correct position before it gets placed on the main movie clip? Or, can you create a new X and Y position of MCa in Level 1? Am I confusing you?

It just occurs to me that you can have a movie clip of nearly any size positioned anywhere over the main timeline by an X or Y value--maybe I misunderstood.....