A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Opening Web Pages From a Standalone Player

Hello all. I am new to the forums and I have worked with Flash for about 6months off and on. I have the basic concepts down and currently I am working on a project for a client and I need HELP! I have a deadline and I have problems.

Here is my dilema. I am creating a stand alone player for my client to put on a cd. I need to figure out how to, by clicking on a button, open a web browser and take the user to the clients web site.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hey Seangrady,
    You would do this the same way as your would for the web,
    create a button, assign these actions:
    On (Press)
    Get URL ("http://www.clientswebsite.com", window="_blank")
    End On

The stand alone player will load their default browser and take it to there site.

Assign those actions by double clicking on the instance of the button on your main stage and click the actions tab.
    Then on Mousevent (press, release, etc)
    Get URL (web address including http://) and the window will be _blank

you probably already knew that but just in case

Thanks,

I havnt had alot of time to figure it out yet. Thanks for the input.

BTW - Technically it would be the same if I wanted to open a .swf file in a new window by inputing the blank segment. Say I wanted to open a picture by clicking on a button; and, I wanted either the picture itself to be loaded up or have the picture be loaded up in a new window. would I go about the same way. I have loaded seperate .swf movie files into my movie but have not been able to load just a single picture. Thansk in a dvance for any help!!

Technically yes, the concept is the same. Regarding the picture, if you are using this in the standalone player, incorporate that picture within the movie or embed it in an html file to be pulled up. If you simply tell the button to get the picture (jpg), the individual users would click on it and it would open the jpg in their default viewer (which could be a paint program or the such). The best thing is to either build it into a seperate swf and use the load movie command or put it as an instance in your main movie.