A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: error handling

I need to create a handler that will detect whether an XML file exists or not. I've tried loading the non-existent file and Flash generates the usual error in the output window. When running as a stand-alone or in a browser, the error message doesn't appear so I don't have to worry about that when running the final app. The trick is, I can't find any actionscript to determine whether or not the file has loaded. Any ideas?

kdickinson

Uhh....

So you can use the 'loaded', 'onLoad', and 'status' methods of the XML object....

nameOfXMLObj = new XML;
    nameOfXMLObj.onLoad = dealWithIt;
    nameOfXMLObj.load("yourXML.xml");

function dealWithIt(success){
    if(success){
    possibleErrors = nameOfXMLObj.status
    if(possibleErrors==0){
    trace("XML document was loaded successfully with no errors.");
    }else{
    trace("XML document was loaded returning the error code: "+possibleErrors);
    }
    }else{
    trace("XML document was not loaded successfully.");
    }
    }

The 'loaded' property can be used in much the same way, but inside some loop. nameOfXMLObj.loaded will return true when the document was loaded... (duh!) - but the same as onLoad - it will not tell you if it was loaded successfully (without errors).

Thanks for the help. Actually the status still doesn't do what I want (amazingly enough) but you did give me the answer. For the record, here's what works:

test = new XML();
    test.onLoad = testload;
    test.load("somexml.xml");

function testload(bSuccess){
    if (!bSuccess){
    trace ("success says it didn't load"); // even thought the file isn't there, bSuccess returns true.
    }
    possibleErrors = _root.test.status
    if(possibleErrors==0){
    trace("XML document was loaded successfully with no errors."); // even with no file, possible errors == 0
    }else{
    trace("XML document was loaded returning the error code: "+possibleErrors); // only goes off when a file is actually in place
    }
    if (this.loaded){ // yep, this one works even within the load handler (no loop needed). I tried it both ways (file and no file).
    trace ("even loaded says it's loaded");
    }else{
    trace ("finally, an error");
    }
    }

Once again, thanks. I didn't think the loaded property would do it but is does.

Ken