A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Beta 6 - How Cool is This!?!?

I just discovered a cool new feature in 2.0 beta. It was probably there all the time, but just never realized it!

You can step through your movie one frame at a time by clicking on any frame of the Scene object in the timeline and using your arrow keys to go forward and backwards!

Don't be too hard on me if you guys have known this forever and I'm just waking up.

I knew that I could click on a frame and with "Frame Preview Mode" on, I could view that frame ... BUT, I never realized I could cycle through them with the arrow keys ... Thanks for the info It's like a slow-motion preview ... Actually, it's a great feature for getting precise timing of effects ...

I love this program

Peaces
    Cadence

Originally posted by Cadence
    I knew that I could click on a frame and with "Frame Preview Mode" on, I could view that frame ... BUT, I never realized I could cycle through them with the arrow keys ... Thanks for the info It's like a slow-motion preview ... Actually, it's a great feature for getting precise timing of effects ...

I love this program

Peaces
    Cadence
    You're right - I forgot to add that Frame preview mode must be on.

A few other features you might have overlooked

You can now apply complex effects within a sprite to the main timeline....ie You can do this: Create a sprite within a sprite within a sprite. In the lowest sprite create a text element and now have it do a effect. Now, go one sprite higher and you can have that effect that you created in the lower sprite do its own effect and so on with the other sprite. Therfore the variety of effects that are possible are endless.........Im sure your lost now for sure. Ive never been great at explaining things.

Ok, I said a few, but now my minds a blank, I may be back

~Jer~

Jer -

You don't give yourself enough credit - I got it right away and played with it. Very cool! (Well, maybe I didn't get it right away.)

You can also now apply complex effects to shapes, without having to Group them ...

Those guys are really on the ball over there in Sydney

Peaces
    Cadence

Ya, the preview frame by frame is great. The only thing though is that it doesn't preview the sprites when you do it from the main timeline.

We will be unravelling 2.0's mysteries well into next Spring. It will take that long for us to get a large quantity of real "stuff" made with it.

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    Wondered if anyone would notice.

You can apply simnple and complex effects to any sort of object now.

Of course, if you apoply a complex effect (like explode or snake) to a simple object (like a shape, sprite or button), then it behaves like it is a complex shape with one component.

This means some complex effect (like squeeze) won't do much (as they are really only useful when there are multiple components in the complex obejct .. eg more than one letter in the text). But effects like wave and snake can still be quite effective.

This means you no longer need the trick of grouping a shape to apply and effect .. it seemed silly for SWiSH to make you do this when it could do it for you. In future versions of SWiSH you may find similar manual techniques replaces by internal smarts .. I'd like to see SWiSH able to apply gradient fills to text without you hacing to convert to shapes etc.

Also note that this makes it easy to have a complex effect (like explosion) while the whole things has another complex effect (like a snake orbit) with the whole things following a motion path etc. Just encapsulate each effect in a sprite and apply an effect to the sprite and encapsulate again.

Oh I'm lovin' this thread, this is great to hear. This is gonna be good...

Best, Will

most useful thread i've seen today....thanks

Originally posted by roger_onslow
    My brain is already on meltdown........ but I like the fuzzy feeling...