A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: and now for something completely different...build this with me please.

I have been searching high and low for a well designed, smartly scripted mp3 player that would stream external .swf files and be easily configured, reconfigured to play (on demand) a fixed number of tracks...er...let's say six to begin with.

I would like to use Joshua Bolles' Flash Stream ( http://www.flashkit.com/movies/Sound...38/index.shtml ) as a starting point to create a very simple, compact player.

Also, I have reworked the user interface of Dennis Nestor's Simple Drop Down, I have also tweaked things a bit to make it slightly more intuitive- the revised version available for download here if you are interested (The player would be designed in the spirit of this dropdown, which could possibly serve as the track selection):
    http://www.goodcompany.dk/incoming/goodcompany_drop.zip

(Original by Dennis Nestor: http://www.flashkit.com/movies/Sound...8/index.shtml)

I have a ton of ideas for additional functionality, such as mp3 file upload ..also the possibility of integrating moock's or peopleforfun.com's chat client that would allow you to connect you with others listening to the same track...but that is down the road. It might ultimately be easier to build a flash front end for a php-jukebox of somekind...but hopefully this is your area of knowledge and you can make that call.

So if you are a seasoned actionscripter and it sounds like a project that would be interesting to you then please write david@goodcompany.dk or simply reply to this post.

This is not a commerical solicitation :-), The finished product could be a nice contribution to the .fla bank, and hell, a lot of fun to build--of course it would also aim to be the definitive flash5 mp3 player.

best,
    david@goodcompany.dk

can't anyone see get interested in this??? is anyone out there? I am the only one wanting to share mp3's on my site and make them playable through flash?

i know there are some players out there already,. but nothing we can't do much better.

sigh.

resolved Great Idea...

I like the idea and soundtrack my sites with MP3's. Even at 56k it start playing within a few seconds and the sound quality is WAY better than Real Audio.

Are talking about streaming?

The problem is I'm not an expert in coding yet and I think that's where a lot of what you need lies.

Regards,

mp3

it is fairly easy to stream mp3's by any number of methods, unfortunatly you would run into all sorts of legal problems regarding copyright unless you have permission from the artists.

Well. I am not concerned about the copyright issues. It isn't a matter which should have any influence on if this should or should not be built. A lot of bands would use this sort of thing on their own site anyway to promote and distribute their own music. Besides, correct me if I am wrong, but if you protect the .swf file than it is as good as protected...as much as real audio anyway. So technically you are not distributing music any more than you would be by playing your radio with your window open....er,..ok, not sure that holds water in court, but BACk to the point.

Well. I am sure it can be done. If you look back at my first post there is a link to someone who is already doing it. Perhaps I will just contact him and see if he will help me build a version of my own.

But if anyone reads this and is still interested PLEASE get in touch.

best,

david