A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Pricing??? What would YOU charge?

AS I've been reading through here, I've noticed that alot of you are talking about pricing and the degridation of your pricing base by 'the kid next door' or some other in-experienced person. Right now I am making a guide for a company that is going to be selling advertising in a magazine type product and am trying to figure out how much it's gonna cost my customers for the creation of these ads.

Since it's guys like you that are going to be actually making them, professionals and so on and not novices like myself, what would you charge? The breakdowns are as follows:

All ads go for a set amount of time and then stop until the user clicks a continue button and have the following characteristics...

Full(640x480), 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, pages in these breakdowns:

1.) Flat ads
    2.) Simple text animation, in 5 sec incriments to 30 sec
    3.) Animation, w/ sound in 5 sec incriments to 30 sec
    4.) Full video, w/ sound in 5 sec incriments to 30 sec

If you all could let me know, I'd really appreciate it. I wouldn't want to put some random pricing out there and then not have anybody be able to do it because I said it was cheaper than it was, or to lower the base of creation rates. Since this stuff is kind of different than developing web site content(BTW: size really isn't an issue) I don't know that the limited amount of information avalible on the web is acurate. Any help would be great!!

Thanks...

DS Marrinan

anybody?

Some one help me out please!!! I am diligently waiting for some responces (I can't finish what I'm working on until I get some!!!!!!!) Please help a brada out....

Thanks DS

imho, hard to quote a price without assessing it first,
    depends i think on how complex/simple it is to be and above all how long it will take.
    have you got any examples or detailed descriptions of these?

See, that's the problem. There are no examples, and I really don't have any idea how long it would take to do: That's why I am asking all here...

As for detailed instructions, lets say that I am a bar. I guess the idea would be to creat an advertisment for that bar, whether it was a flat ad or a moving one of some sort. The only restrictions that there are is that it fit into a specfic size (Either a whole page (640x480) or 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 of that page. Other than that it's kind of up to the customer. Oh yeah, the only interactivity would be a link to thier web presence.

So I guess the closest thing that I can think of for an example would be an intro to a site, translated into a different form. Does that hellp at all? I hope @ least some!!

Thanks, DS

HI GUYS!

Hi Guys!!

I have the quite same problem...

here is mine...

So..I live in Malaysia...and so my Client live in lancaster US.

He asked me about the price...so here comes problem!..

how do I want to charge my client for standard banner for example....??And of course it's using Flash...

hope that you'll got answer for me..

thanks,

CHEERS!
    napy

pricing

after a fiasco with a motorcycle shop site ( 168 pages - £800.00), i have decided to quote at least £100.00 per web page,
    dunno if thats any help..

Re: pricing

Originally posted by darkstar
    after a fiasco with a motorcycle shop site ( 168 pages - £800.00), i have decided to quote at least £100.00 per web page,
    dunno if thats any help..
    I think I read about that smoewhere else on here.... OUCH!!!!

Thanks for the info... How much do you charge for splash flash pages (I guess that's the closest I can think of!)?

Any help would be great,

Devon

1 page

i am doing a single splash page for a film (movie) maker tomorrow night and the price (already quoted) is £100.00
    although the guy is supplying the artwork and layout so not too much work involved.
    so i guess thats around what i would quote.

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    I would charge by the hour. You never know about each different ad, and each one might require more or less work.
    Hope that helps.

Thanks... Would you charge the same hourly rate as you do for site design? Or would you charge more/less becuase it's only the 1st part of a site? Let me know...

Thanks agian...

Devon

The way our company does it:

Basically, you figure out what its going to take in hours to complete the project. Then triple it and multiply it by your hourly rate.

For example, Splash Intro ( 15 seconds long ) will take 10 hours. 10 * 3 = 30, 30 * $75 = $2250.

Ok, thats what you WANT to get for it. Now you may have to come down to get in the clients budget but its easier to go down then up.

The reason we triple the hours is that the first 10 hours covers your labor, the second 10 hours covers overhead, and the third 10 hours is profit.

I'm not saying that you can get $2250 for a Intro. This was just an example, perhaps you could do it in 5 hours or your hourly rate is $35/hr. You just have to get a feel for your clients and the market you want to compete in.

( PLEASE, I do not want to turn this into a "HOW MUCH CAN YOU CHARGE" debate. )

Hope this helps.

I'll do the same intro for £200. I'm a graduate with 12 months commercial experience - I usually charge £20 per hour, which is peanuts compared to what people with more experience charge. I can live for a week on a day and a halfs' work. In two more years, i'll be asking more like £50 - 70 per hour.

I reckon the best thing to do is to charge by the hour. If you agree on a price and then it takes you much longer, you're losing out. IMHO, the best thing to do is say 'this is my hourly rate, this is how long i estimate the job will take, but if it takes longer, either I stop working or you pay the excess'. Then get a lawyer to draw up a generic contract that you can adapt to the situation.

Thanks for the ideas... I appreciate it.

DS