A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mac or PC - advice please!!

I don´t get viruses on my Win32 machine. Since about 1992 I use Anti-Virus software. With todays technologies like Mcafee or Symantec, associated with daily updates via broadband connection, the chances are small. The cost is low and there are 1-year trials. There´s no reason not to use it.

If Mac had more than 50% of computers market share, Virus developers would be more interested in creating virus or exploits for Mac.

If Linux had more than 50% of computers market share, there would be even more exploit for Linux Daemons and stuff.

Thats the way it is. Who sells more will always be the target for evil programmers intentions.

Headlines reading

Yes, I agree, it´s ridiculous to say things like this:
    -"Pc´s are evil because they crash hundreds of times a day"
    -"All pc people are retarded, they can´t convert a PDF doc"
    -"You can do things on a mac that you can´t do on a pc"

It is so easy to pinpoint some extracts and forgive about the rest of the post. Maybe then one would have noticed and understood that if I sided with Mac versus PC, the reason is totally personal and that is why the post ended with a joke.

NOWADAYS, no matter which machine you choose, you will be able to do almost anything you want it to do for you.

It is just sad, in my opinion, that the development of desktop computing went the way it did, with Windows invading most of the market. I might be wrong, but I do not think this OS deserves the ominous place it occupies now in every office and workplace.

Considering inventiveness, vision and ease of use only, Mac should have got a fairer share of the market since the desktop was commercialized. Then, maybe common people might have had a choice between a cheap PC AND a cheap Mac, and as many Mac software as there are Windows software.

But the real life is different and you are free to do what you want.

sp

I´m sorry if my message lead you to think that I was flaming your post. That was not my intention. Please consider that english is not my native language and sometimes my poor english can make me sound bad.

And I respect your right to choose whatever you want to use, off course
    NOWADAYS, no matter which machine you choose, you will be able to do almost anything you want it to do for you.
    I´m happy to see that we agree on that. It´s totally true.
    What I tried to say in my post is that this Windows Vs. Linux or PC Vs. Mac discussions usually get too emotionally overloaded and people seem to forget the productivity issues. Arguments like

-Windows sux because it crashes a lot and has viruses.
    -Linux sux because is very hackeable.
    -Mac´s sux because they´re expensive and there´s no software for it.
    -I guess i will have to buy a Mac because i need to work with graphics.
    -I guess i´ll have to buy a PC because i need to deal with programming.

should not be used to influence people on what to buy/use.

It is just sad, in my opinion, that the development of desktop computing went the way it did, with Windows invading most of the market. I might be wrong, but I do not think this OS deserves the ominous place it occupies now in every office and workplace.
    Considering inventiveness, vision and ease of use only, Mac should have got a fairer share of the market since the desktop was commercialized. Then, maybe common people might have had a choice between a cheap PC AND a cheap Mac, and as many Mac software as there are Windows software.
    Yes, i have to agree that Intel/Microsoft success has made many good Hardware/Software options disappear or become less visible.

It would be fair to see more Macs around, but hey, historically, personal computing is very recent. Maybe we´re still reading chapter 2 or 3 of a great book Who knows, maybe in some years we could have more options on processors for example.

But in what comes to people consume, there´s no way to defy the market laws: Cheaper/Easier solution will have the bigger market share. Maybe Apple could try to stimulate more companies to develop hardware for Mac in order to increase competition and decrease it´s hardware price. Then software would be just a consequence.

While that doesn´t happen, in my opinion the scenario for the next years will be people using PC´s with Linux (as Linux is trying to become easier and it´s free).

So Serpamac, can we be friends now? lol

Flash Develper
    I like PC more than Mac,

it's only my opinion, you have to consider about the softwares and
    support and stuff,
    some softwares don't have Mac version...

and about the speed concern....I think it depends on your hardware...
    mine is P4 1.7 1G sdram, Geforece2 titanum, and I think it's fast enough for me for now...

I use Mac, too, I'm not saying Mac is bad...
    just it's really up to you....

and another one, Mac is hard to upgrade the hardware...
    and mostly important thing is...it costs $$

Large Member
    having done lots of design on both platforms, i would have to say the pc is the better choice for interactive design. unless you're using virtual pc, you have a crappy choice of text editors. there's not a single one out there that is tabbed based like homesite, or the pc version of dreamweaver. try editing 10 pages in bbedit at the same time and you'll see what i mean.

unless you're doing print graphics, or already have experience with FCP, i'd stay away from the macs for now. i LOVE macs, and i really want one for an upgrade, but i would feel stupid buying one... i didn't even talk about the price/performance ratio either.

Befriendingly

[i]
    So Serpamac, can we be friends now? lol [/B]
    Yes, let's do something quite rare: a PC user befriending (is that good English, French is my language) a Mac user... et vice et versa.

Keep up computing

sp

If you can afford a Mac, get one with OSX - anything prior is second rate (memory leaks, crashes etc.). OSX is a beautiful work of art that is based on unix, the de-facto multi-tasking OS.

If you want a super fast machine, get the latest P4 with loads of RDRAM , 2 or more hard disks on RAID controllers and a geforce 4. The memory bandwidth and hard disk read speed will make your PC faster than any mac in 'real life' situations and it will double as a gaming platform. Get XP pro, not home. You will be stuck with a boring OS though.

If you want value for money, go with a high spec PC, if you want the ultimate experience, go with a mac.

Alien Bob
    My spaceship's currently in for it's service...

Orbiting the Earth just above Peterborough
    All PC's are EVIL!!!!!

Beware the dark side

flash playback is key..go PC!!
    I have turned to the Dark Side but have both.