dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: SDK complete?

I've been perusing the Flash 5 SDK from Middle Soft, but it seems like the specification for adding Flash 5 actions is incomplete.

For instance they don't document the ability to use TCP/IP sockets, XML and many of Flash 5's features. Am I missing something or is the SDK limited in available features?

You are correct, the middlesoft document is incomplete. It uses Get URL 2 for these things.

If I remember correctly, XML sockets are actually created like and accessed like other variables (not with GetUrl2). If you want to figure out how to use XML, the best solution is to write some actionscript code in Flash, export, and decompile the flash code exported. It has been a while since I looked into this issue, but it didn't seem to complicated at the time.

The Middlesoft SDK doesn't support any 5.0 actions, try SWFSource (http://www.virtuascape.net) or Ming if you want (http://www.opaque.net) to use 5.0 actions.

--Jesse

Jesse, the XML is loaded using the load variable action script. That AS uses Get URL 2 doesn't it?

You know what would be useful... If the all of the actionscript methods were broken down and published into how they corelate to the SDK... I really scratch my head when I think about how middlesoft didn't do this- but hey then again that would have made sense and when did middlesoft ever do that?

Actually, the following ActionScript...

Code:
    x = new XML();
    x.load("http://foo");
    ..is compiled to..

Code:
       lookupTable
           0:   "x"
           1:   "XML"
           2:   "http://foo"
           3:   "load"
       push           lookup( 0 )
       push           double 0.0
       push           lookup( 1 )
       newObject
       setVariable
       push           lookup( 2 )
       push           1
       push           lookup( 0 )
       getVariable
       push           lookup( 3 )
       callMethod

Okay so it uses GetVariable to load it.

I still think it is a good idea to map all those actions out.

Originally posted by johnie
    Okay so it uses GetVariable to load it.

I still think it is a good idea to map all those actions out.
    Actually, getVariable here is just getting the value of variable 'x'. The key op is the callMethod (which calls the 'load' method of the XML object 'x'). All the network request logic is built into the XML object and has nothing to do with the getURL(2) action(s) - those will only send and return variables as name=value pairs, and they do not understand XML.

Cool...so anyone willing to put together a little spec on the XML side of flash? (I would do it now, but I am loaded with up meetings for the next couple weeks).

--Jesse

There's no need - all the XML functionality is documented at the ActionScript level - by Macromedia, and in a number of books.

There are no special action codes for XML - the XML and XMLSocket object types have all the goods - and they are just plain scriptable objects.

Hopefully, all future Flash versions will be like this - no new Action Codes - just new object types.

sounds good. I may look into it.

--Jesse