A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Really Styrange Problem...

I had this in the Stnadalone board for a couple of days and not one answer! So I moved it here to see if maybe ya'll could give me a hand... (I deleted it from the standalone section!)

All right, here the deal is. I have a game that a friend of mine wrote for me in Flash 4. It cannot be updated to 5 w/out hours of work, so I am trying to leave it alone (not mess w/ the code). It is approx 450 x 300 in size, and is being loaded from a 640 x 480 movie. I have a menu system in a swf file that uses the loadmovie command to load the game. The game loads, and the fun begins...

First, I had it just loading the game and had allowscale at true. This never worked, mainly because of the size difference, (Flash keeps the atributes of the first movie when loading the new one, specficly the size, framerate, and bg color...), I think, but none of the commands (buttons) did a d**m thing. So I tried to fix it by having a blank movie, named test.swf, be the movie that is loaded and the game then loaded into level 1 on the test.swf movie. I figured that this would make it so that when the movie scales, it does it right (the game, if started on it's own can scale to full screen no problem...) and the buttons should work. And it did, on my computer, and then on my friends computer, and then it froze on the next two computers I tried. There is nothing simmilar or different about these four computers, they are of different speeds, but the 3rd one was comparable to mine (good, fast, whatever), and the fourth one was slightly slower than the friends computer (lowest common denominator).

Not only do none of the buttons work, but it apears to freeze flash as wel, making the escape key not work correctly and not closing the full screen mode. The only way to do anything is to control alt delete it and close the flash player. That's it. Completely random... And it's not in the code for the game because the game, when opened by itself, works fine... or when opened by the test.swf file. It's just when I link it from the 640 x 480 menu system that I have this problem.

Any ideas? Please let me know, I have been trying to get this to work since Thursday, and I thought I had solved it when it worked on my and my friends computer: But I hadn''t. Very frustrating!!!!!

Thanks for the help

DS

No one else hass ever had a similar problem? I don't know what to do!!!!!!!!! I've been working on this for a week now and still no answers! Please help...

Thanks DS

I think people (including me) still dont understand your problem. Can we view your game online or something to see the problem?

I think people (including me) still dont understand your problem. Can we view your game online or something to see the problem?

It would be better to upload the SWF and post the URL, so that we could understand the problems more.

Now we can only Guess:

The SWF is Flash 4 version, and the Menu is Flash 5 version, right ?

1.Try export Menu fla to Flash 4 SWF and exclude the compatibility problems.

2.Checkout the SWF action scripts. Is there any script referring _level0 rather than _root ?

There are many possibilities. Could we see the SWF ?

Originally posted by ericlin
    There are many possibilities

true

dsmmg, you can be sure that your problem will be corrected. Ericlin here will fix everything for you.

Ericlin, check out this thread, I created for you this morning http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=172994

Hi rapidcarbon

I began to learn Flash since 4 months ago just because I want to make a maze game for my children. I learned by reading the tutorials in FlashKit. And I learned from other's problems posted in this forum. From trying, I learned much. If I cant solve the problem, I skip and pretend that I did not see the post.

I wish I could see the SWF, then I can learn another lesson.

Thanks for the replies, guy's (or girls, whatever)... Here's the deal:

• I can't publish the menu system as flash four w/out a ton of work in the action script. It uses the with command for about 15 or 20 different things, and that is not possible in Flash 4. I know you can change the code to get it to do the same thing, but that is a ton of work that I would rather not do, especially since everything else is in v5.
    • As for puting the things up on the net, I will try and let ya'll know. The problem is that they were made for a cd and size was ever even considered. I'm pretty sure that they are very large! But I'll look into it and see if I can't get them up on the web... And do you want to see the SWF or the FLA? I don't know bout the FLA of the game since I didn't make it, a friend of mine did, and I don't know If he'll want me to post that or not, but I'll ask. (He's out of the country right now: very difficult to get a hold of, otherwise he could probably fix this in a Flash!)
    • How much does the size difference between the two different movies make a difference? It kinda seems as though that may be a problem? I don't know, just a thought another friend came up with.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I'll see what I can do from here and check out the 'a s' to see if it is looking for what you described below...

Thanks, Devon

I had something like this when I compiled the played on windows 2000 and then put it on a windows 98 machine don't know if this helps any