A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: linking in flash

hello ...please can someone help a fella out, ive been stuck on a flash site for about a month and im not that stupid just maybe a little wet behind the ears so this question might seem dumb but her it goes. im created a flash movie for a example a navigation bar with buttons, im using dreamweaver to upload and manage the site files but i cannot get link the files in flash. i created a bitton that says "bio page" in flash and i would like to link that to a html that i made and that i placed in my site folder in dreamweaver, but in flash when i use the get url action and i publish my page to the web i never pulls uo my linked page .what am i doing wrong ?? what would be the proper way to put in the url in the action window i dont know if i am making sense but thats the best i can explain. if i have a jpeg image what would be considered the url and what would be the proper way to link it in flash and dreamweaver>>

keep everything in the same folder.

Lets say your html file, index.html is in a folder locally called upload that you plan to take to the web. Keep your flash.swf file in that folder. That way when you do your links in flash with get url all you have to put is whatever.html as the link. It will look in the folder its in for the file.

Keeping all html files together with .swf files make your life alot easier.

Good Luck.

MajorTom gives a great answer for the crucial part of your question; but then there's another part that i'm not sure i understand, when you say: "if i have a jpeg image what would be considered the url and what would be the proper way to link it in flash and dreamweaver?"

if i understand you (do you want users to be able to click on an image to bring up a new page?), make sure that in flash you convert the imported jpeg to symbol and ascribe a behavior to it (e.g., button); then add a script to the button, e.g., on (release) {getURL ("http://www.yoursitehere/whateverpage.html");
    }

Originally posted by bodoni
    MajorTom gives a great answer for the crucial part of your question; but then there's another part that i'm not sure i understand, when you say: "if i have a jpeg image what would be considered the url and what would be the proper way to link it in flash and dreamweaver?"

if i understand you (do you want users to be able to click on an image to bring up a new page?), make sure that in flash you convert the imported jpeg to symbol and ascribe a behavior to it (e.g., button); then add a script to the button, e.g., on (release) {getURL ("http://www.yoursitehere/whateverpage.html");
    }

thank you for the quick response guys,sorry for the bad typos but im frustrated. bodoni what i meant is that i tried to link differnt types of files and nothing was working, i created a flash site that had a picture gallery that i wanted to put thumbnails on and when clicked brought you to the full version of the picture , but none of the actions as far as the links would work. if i had a bunch of jpeg images do i put them all in the site folder in dreamweaver that i was told to create and then use the get url in flash to access them ?? like major tom said what folder do i put everything in the folder that is my root folder in dreamweaver that im upolading?? that is where im lost. i would hope it is as easy as major tom says as far as in the get url field i can jsut put for example"tom.jpeg" and what do i use relative or absolute ?? can you tell me the difference in laymans term please

um, well, my brain doesn't seem to be working too well at the moment, but here goes... relative URL refers to a page within the same root folder. when linking to a page within the same site you normally wouldn't enter the full url, just the page name. for example, you would type "contacts.html" rather than http://www.mysite.com/contacts.html. the latter is considered an "absolute" URL, which refers to any page external to your root folder, any page out there on the http://www.

now, as for having a link that opens a larger image of the thumbnail. why not do this as a pop-up window? do it in flash. user clicks on thumbnail; the onrelease action opens a pop-up window featuring the jpeg. no, there's really no need to put the images in your folder in dw. import them into flash. (there is much to be said about optimizing jpegs for import into flash, and what to do once they're in flash—like turning off smoothing, etc.—but that's another conversation. first just get a handle on this.) then go to insert and convert the jpeg to a symbol. mustn't overlook this important step. you must attach a behavior to the symbol; if i were you i would make it a button.

more later. i'm exhausted right now. let me know if i've made any sense so far.

what is the best way to do that??

good afternoon bodoni ...thanks for all the help , now if im correct your saying that i dont need to put the jpeg file into my dreamweaver folder ...so how do i use jpeg images as both thumbnails first that turn into fool popouts
    upon being clicked ?? say if i import a picture wher would it be stored at or rather how do i place it so that when a button or image is clicked that it brings up that image being taht i still have to make it a url...i know how to import images and turn them into symbols but say if i create a page that i want 20 thumbnails that when clicked gives you a full image wher would all those images be stored at and what would be the url?? do i make sense ?? please help i appreciate it

Re: what is the best way to do that??

Originally posted by Mark Harper
    if i create a page that i want 20 thumbnails that when clicked gives you a full image wher would all those images be stored at and what would be the url?? do i make sense ?? please help i appreciate it
    They are stored whereever you want them to be stored. Make a folder called BIGPICTURES and make a folder called SMALLPICTURES. Put both folders in one folder called upload. Put all your html and .swf files in the upload folder. Put all you thumbs in the SMALLPICTURES folder. Put all your big pictures in the BIGPICTURES folder.

If you are going to do them in flash, import the small pictures in. Link them using Get Url and put in /BIGPICTURES/file1.jpg

Thats all you have to do.

I would just use FrontPage if I were you since it will make all your thumbnails for you and link them to the big files. Frontpage sucks for everything else tho.

Good Luck.

Re: Re: what is the best way to do that??

Originally posted by MajorTom
    Originally posted by Mark Harper
    if i create a page that i want 20 thumbnails that when clicked gives you a full image wher would all those images be stored at and what would be the url?? do i make sense ?? please help i appreciate it
    They are stored whereever you want them to be stored. Make a folder called BIGPICTURES and make a folder called SMALLPICTURES. Put both folders in one folder called upload. Put all your html and .swf files in the upload folder. Put all you thumbs in the SMALLPICTURES folder. Put all your big pictures in the BIGPICTURES folder.

If you are going to do them in flash, import the small pictures in. Link them using Get Url and put in /BIGPICTURES/file1.jpg

Thats all you have to do.
    thanks tom im getting what you are saying , can you just make one thing clear when i make the main folder in the example you gave me "UPLOAD" where does this folder goes ??do i create this folder and leave it in dreamweaver or do i leave it on my local drive, and if i understand you all my files html and swf i would link the same way..if i do the thumbnails using front page (in which i dont have) do i save the file as a html file and put that in the upoad folder also ?? is that the way this works ??

I would just use FrontPage if I were you since it will make all your thumbnails for you and link them to the big files. Frontpage sucks for everything else tho.

Good Luck.

i give up