A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: varibles

Ok how do I do this.

Have editbox with variable searchdata

want to go to a URl with seachdata as part of the url text

http://bretlanius.com/temp.gif

Edit boxes can either be used to get information from the user, or just to display any amount of text. They can appear like a normal edit box, with a border and a white background,or they can be transparent over the top of the existing background. Edit boxes must have a variable assigned to them. When the text in the edit box changes, the variable's value will immediately be changed to reflect contents of the edit box. When the variable's value is changed, the text in the edit box will be updated to reflect the new value of the variable.

You can use GET or POST to send the current movie's variables to a server application. The variables will be submitted to the URL using the standard x-www-urlencoded encoding. The GET method adds the variables to the end of the URL, and should only be used with a small number of variables. The URL will appear like 'url.html?variable=value&variable=value'. The POST method sends the variables in a separate header just like a HTML form,and is capable of sending any number of variables.

Varibles I thought so

Originally posted by RobStewart
    You can use GET or POST to send the current movie's variables to a server application. The variables will be submitted to the URL using the standard x-www-urlencoded encoding. The GET method adds the variables to the end of the URL, and should only be used with a small number of variables. The URL will appear like 'url.html?variable=value&variable=value'. The POST method sends the variables in a separate header just like a HTML form,and is capable of sending any number of variables.
    That's what I thought but when it didn't work I though perhaps I didn't understand how FLA was doing things. I'll play with it some more.

Thanks

dosen't seem to wrok

Ok tried this again

I have an editbox with variable Last
    I have button that on MouseUp goes to URL and I have it set to open new window and Post

Running SWF I enter a name in editbox click on button and I go to URL but input from editbox is NOT sent.

Am I missing something here?

Is the OpenURL action in the same movie as the edit box variable?

editbox

Originally posted by RobStewart
    Is the OpenURL action in the same movie as the edit box variable?
    Yes it is in the same movie.
    I've posted a sample at
    http://bretlanius.com/contacts.movie

It calls a CGI on that server.