A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: shared fonts

anyone knows how shared fonts work in flash or if they do work at all. i could´t figure it out. hopefully theres a trick or something.
    cheers
    -samuel

shared fonts

If you want to share a font across text fields inside a movie, open the library, click options -> new font. Choose the font you want to use as a font symbol, give it an identifier. The font identifier will appear in your font list, with a * at the end. Use this font in every text field, dynamic or input, it will be exported only once (average size = 18 KB).

BUT if you want to share a font across movies:

"Note: Currently, an issue with the Flash Player prevents shared fonts from being used with Dynamic or Input text fields. Only Static text fields may be used with shared fonts." (Macromedia Tech Note #14786)

What does that mean? It means this feature just doesn't work. In fact, static text fields render vectorized text, they don't need any font to be created by the flash player. Funny, isn't it?

The best way is probably to create one movie containing your font and text objects. Load this movie in the background and have your other movies calling the main movie's text objects. That way, you won't have to load your font many times...

Stephane

hi Stephane,
    thanks for your help. it seems that macromedia missed a pretty clever feature. the solution you explained is the one i used in flash4. this makes me thinkin´what the guys at macromedia are doin´
    anyhow:: cheers
    -samuel