A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash SWF & Visual Basic - Accessing URL

Hi,

I was trying to open an SWF which contacts a web-server for some data (using Loadvariables).

It works fine when run in stand-alone mode. But when opened in Visual Basic using SWFLASH.OCX, the movie is not returning values from the web-server. I mean, LOADVARIABLES doesn't seem to be working.

Can anybody help, please...

Thanks.

Been there before...

In your VB embed make sure you reference your flash movie with the prefix, "file:///|".

This gets around a security restriction imposed by the ActiveX control, and it will magically start working

Mike

Flash OCX - Can't use LOADVARIABLES from movies

Thanks beelineuk.

But when I tried prefixing "file:///|" to my Flash Movie, VB ActiveX Control won't load it and display. :-(

Might need some more help from you (or others)

Thanks.

Might be able to dig out the code tomorrow, but I suspect it may be because your not using a full path in the embed.

How are u referencing it currently?

Sorry my mistake, take off the "|".

As long as you use a full path this should work.

Angry hey...

hey beelineuk

i just surfed in and saw that little car game you make i'm a bit of a petrol head and i couldent help a notice how much it rocks i know a bit about flash you know how to make an animation or 2 and if its no troble i want the .fla of that game please it you dont mind e-mail it to me at axla__12@hotmail.com thanks

Hi Dean,

Pleased to hear you like my footer. Unfortunately I can't give out the fla as it uses the same code as a game I wrote for the company I work for.

You can however take a look at my first submittion to flashkit, and have a dig around inside of that.

http://www.flashkit.com/movies/Effec...98/index.shtml

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Mike

Angry

beelineuk,
    irts ok that you cant give me the code i understand why (i think) but you'v been a great help. anyway, i wanted yu to know i'v never been able to make a scecseful working game in flash you might be able to help me there but thanks any way