A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Scrollbar Telltarget problem...I'm totally stuck

dean_phoenix

resolved [RESOLVED] Scrollbar Telltarget problem...I'm totally stuck

Hey all

I tried to create a scrollbar and text using a tutorial here on FK. Either the tutorial stinks or I do...i'm guessing it's the latter of the 2.

Here's my error:
    Target not found: Target="/ScrollUp" Base="_level0.panelmotor.TextMotor"
    Target not found: Target="/ScrollUp" Base="_level0.panelmotor.TextMotor"

It's giving me 2 errors per click cuz of this code i have on my Scroll Up button:

on (press) {
    tellTarget ("/ScrollUp") {
    gotoAndPlay (2);
    }
    }
    on (release) {
    tellTarget ("/ScrollUp") {
    gotoAndStop (1);
    }
    }
    I have each mc labeled appropriately ("ScrollUp" and "ScrollDown") I also get the same problem on my Scroll Down button. Any ideas what could be going wrong?

Thanks
    Dean

Old dog learning new tricks

It seems to me that u have placed the button somewhere where the relative path u've entered is not right.
    If the scroll movies r in the maintimeline and the button in a mc called textmotor which is in a mc called panelmotor, use a relative path like:
    _parent._parent.ScrollUp
    or an absolute like:
    _root.ScrollUp

dean_phoenix
    Originally posted by k-giannis
    It seems to me that u have placed the button somewhere where the relative path u've entered is not right.
    If the scroll movies r in the maintimeline and the button in a mc called textmotor which is in a mc called panelmotor, use a relative path like:
    _parent._parent.ScrollUp
    or an absolute like:
    _root.ScrollUp
    Well, I have the buttons and textfield area as one mc (textmotor) and the scroll mc's are separate and placed inside of the textmotor mc. So shouldn't my path be correct then?

Thanks for the reply thus far to get the thought process crankin.

Dean

If inside the textmotor mc there r the buttons and the two scroll clips don't use the / before the clipname. R u sure u named the clip instances through the instance panel?

dean_phoenix
    When i omit the slash, the error doesn't even pop up, the button's just completely inactive. And yes, i have the instances labeled via the instance panel with the correct names.

Still clueless
    Dean

If the error message doesn't show up, it means the target was found. Something isn't qoing well with the goto action. Label the 1 and 2 frames and use the labels instead of the frame numbers.

dean_phoenix
    Okay, I left the paths without slashes and no errors opped up, like you said. Changed the framenumbers to framelabels and still no luck.

Thanks for the troubleshooting up to this point!
    Dean

Can u put a link to the tutorial so I could take a look to what we;re talking about?

dean_phoenix
    Here ya go. I haven't used the part about the draggable scroll button yet since i can't even tackle the clickable buttons.

http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/In...32/index.shtml

Again, thanks for the time
    Dean

dean_phoenix
    Oh yeah, i'm starting from step 2b in the tut. Once you check it out, you'll understand what i'm talking about.

It seems to me that the problem is in the actionscript in the invisible control clip. Maybe u didn't translate right from Flash4 to Flash5 Actionscript, or the variables path r not correct. I suggest u to look again at this point.

dean_phoenix
    Yes, i was thinking that same thing.

Since basically we've determined that it's not the tellTarget or the goto command, then it has to be the AS in the control mc.

I was wondering if maybe my textfield area has to be converted into a mc and have that labeled. Right now the textfield is not a mc and in the text options panel there is a field for variable, and that's where i have my variable value as "scrolltext". i believe this variable is what makes the control mc work.

let me know your thoughts
    Dean

Yes, according to the tut the text should be in a clip. Just be very careful with the paths in your AS.

dean_phoenix
    Right now i have a blank keyframe that sets the variable of "scrolltext" alone. Can't I just set the variable inside of the new mc that you suggested in your last reply??

You've been a great help!
    Dean

U can set the value of the variable scrolltext outside the mc in the begining of the timeline. The dynamic text that contains the variable must be in a mc.
    Maybe u should drop it 4 a while take a rest and then continue. And maybe a new start from scratch, following the tutorial instructions, in a new file is not so bad idea.
    Most of the times the mistake is so obvious that we don't see it.

dean_phoenix
    I would start from scratch, but the problem is I've gotta have somethin to show tomorrow morning and I've been workin on this the last 3 days. If i come in tomorrow and start fresh, i probably won't make it in time. I know you're right about it being a small error that is right under my nose. Something isn't clicked or checked or labeled...god, this is killing me!

Thanks for everything
    Dean

Can u upload the fla somewhere so I can take a look at it?
    I don't promise much cause it's really late 4 me and I really have to go to sleep but I'll give it a quick try.

dean_phoenix
    I gave it a try and got an error when uploading it and the sys admin is gone for the night. i have a funny feeling he was tinkering with the server today and messed with the file sharing on it.

CRAP!!

Double Crap!
    I'm sorry to leave u man but I'm exhausted.
    Look, search in the open fla movies section here in flashkit. There r some scrollers. Maybe it would be easier to use a ready made movie and script. Just change the graphic symbols and the text and use it for your presentation.
    Post a reply to tell me what u did. I'll check it from the office tommorow.
    Have strength.

dean_phoenix
    Yeah, will do chief. I'll keep ya posted, good or bad.