A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Anyone know how to make a pause?

In your first flash frame set one of the variables you are loading from HTML to ""
    (ie...Set variable "HTMLvar" to "")...I recommend the last variable, then you can be sure everything else has been loaded.

Then put your movie into a loop.

In the first frame of your loop check to see if the variable has been loaded.
    (ie...If HTMLvar ne "")...it has been loaded and you can continue on in your movie.

In the last frame of your loop, just tell it to go to the first frame of your loop. (Make sure you are NOT telling it to go to the first frame of your movie, or you will keep resetting your HTMLvar).

Hope this helps

Question

Hmm, not sure how I would implement this in my particular situation. Is there a simple loop I can make that will pause the movie? I know in Director you can make one easily using ticks (cant remember what they are called for sure but they were like 1/60th of a second each so you could just have it count ticks until enough time ran by)

Question

I have a movie that needs to load in variables from HTML. As it is you have to click reload about 5 times (in the browser) before they come in. I suppose I could just make about 100 frames before the movie starts, but it would be nice just to be able to make a loop that would pause the movie while the varibale get loaded in. Anyone know how to do it nicely?