dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: telltarget problems

Hey, I'm making a new version 2 for my shinedesign.org site (looks totally different...with most of the site done in actionscript) Anyway, I'm having some troubles. I want a movieclip to open when the user releases on a button. Currently, this is what my code on the button looks like:

on (release) {
    telltarget ("/profile_movieclip") {
    play()
    }
    }

This code isn't working though. What is another way to do this? (I know this sounds juvenile, but for some odd reason, I can't figure it out!!!) Thanks.

continued

maybe I should clarify my problem more....
    I have the movie clip already on the stage, and the first frame of that movieclip has nothing on it with a stop command. So when I use the

on (release) {
    telltarget ("profile_movieclip") {
    play();
    }
    }

action, I want it to play the movieclip that is already on the stage. Thanks.

Re: continued

You came to flash5 as forum so I will give you a flash 5 as forum answer....use dot syntax

on (release) {
    _root.whattever.gotoAndPlay (5);

}

whattever being the instance name of the instance your are TARGETING.

I assume you have named your instance of the movie clip (ie. "profile_movieclip") on the stage.
    It's then just a matter of using the crosshair (bottom right on the object actions panel) to set the target (using telltarget action of course).

Wrong dont do it that way. that is old (deprecated)syntax. its best to use dot syntax the way i showed you before believe me. If your serious about flash and want to learn it the right way use dot syntax. dont take the easy way out.

It does use dot syntax!

yes DOT is HOT....