A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Reading from txt file

I want to make a simple password protection (Flash 5).

I imagine that the passwords are stored in a textfile (for easy editing) and that the user type in his individual password in a textfield. This value is then compared to the values in the textfile, and if there is a match, the user is redirected to the proper page.

How is this done? I know that there are a zillion tutorials and examples outthere, but I want something that 1. Does not involve perl, php, asp etc. 2. Doesn't involve both username and password (psw. only) 3. Must be very simple so a newbie with little programming experience can implement it.

I really stuck here, plz help.

Try http://www.altermind.org

there's a good tutorial (clean and easy)

hasta
    marco

Well, nice tutorial but it didn't quite do the trick, since it didn't involve a textfile. I know how to make a Flash only protection, the problem is reading the passwords into Flash from an external textfile.

After countless hours of experimenting, I think I have found out where my problem lies:

I need a piece of actionscript that converts entries in a textfile (separated by enter) into elements in a Flash array (eg. 'memberarray').
    Then I need a small script attached to an 'enter' button that:
    1. Checks if the user's input in the inputtextfield is equal to the first element in 'memberarray'
    2. If so, lets the user to the password protected page.
    3. If not, compares the user input to the next element in 'memberarray'.
    4. Continues step 1-3 until a match is found and if it reaches the end of the array without finding a match, it regrettably informs the user that he can go to hell ;- )

Could anyone please help me with the syntax of a script that will do the abovementioned.

thanx