A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smile

What's up every body,

I'm new to the 3D world but am very intrigued by it's possibilities. I've created a ripple like water effect in Photoshop, what I want to do is to apply it to a 3D cube in Swift 3D so I can further transfer it into flash 4 but first I need a few questions answered. First Is it possible to make a 3D cube in Swift 3D (I don't see any option for it so I'm guessing not but please prove me wrong)? Second Is it possible to import textures to apply to your 3D models? If so how? Third if I import a texture into Swift 3D will Swift pick up the shades and justify it to 3D terms. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you for your time. Please respond as soon as possible.

WiseOne

Hmm...Textures.

Short answer...no.

Long answer...Swift 3D doesn't allow you to import textures like the ripple effect. The reason is that there's no way to convert those bimapped images into vector graphics. Yes, you could just run them through without any conversion, but when you then animate that cube of yours, you'll be exporting a bitmap for each frame of your animation. This can lead to some hefty files that would probably be disappointing for users. Not to say we won't offer it in future versions.

As for the cube, it's sort of a running joke around the office. If you even say the word "Cube Button" to our Chief Developer he starts going Postal. Basically, it was an oversight we'll fix in version 2. In the meantime, draw a square in Flash or Illustrator or Freehand and then import it into Swift 3D and extrude it to a cube-like state.

Smile Still hungry for knowledge!

What's up RainWriter,

Thanks for the info, but I'm still hungry for more knowledge. If I were to make the ripple effect texture in illustrator would Swift make use of it's vector detentions, shades, and highlights in return converting my ripple effects into 3D waves making for a surrealistically tinged environment. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you for your time! Please respond as soon as possible!

WiseOne

hey there

hello you can create a ripple mesh in carrara and then inport as a 3DS i would be happy to make it it for you or provide you w/a 3DS sample...

hope to here from

smallrobot=)

Hey WiseOne,
    Another way of creating a cube directly in Swift3D is to extrude a character map. First select the text tool then choose the Wingdings fond and click on the Character map button, (last button on the right between the font drop-down menu and the text field). Then choose a solid square from the pop-up list. Then select and delete "text" from the text field. Then select the bevels option from the list in the upper left and and set it to square. Finally select the sizing option and set the depth of the extrude to around 0.585. That should just about do it for creating a cube within Swift3D.

Hope this is also of some help

Panda

Smile

what's up small robot,

I dont currently have any 3D software except Swift 3D but if your willing to help me do this then let me see what you can do. Thanks for the help. Please respond as soon as posible.

WiseOne

hello

heres my e-mail address

send exactly what you need and i'll see if i can accomidate you =)

sorry i'm not here everyday like the moderators

smallrobot