A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Does Age make any difference in design?

I went into some of the site check forums today and saw stuff like "Pretty good for a 12 year old" and "Better then most 14 year olds".

I'm 15, if I'm going to design a site, it will be the best i have ever made, and that is always my goal, i never go into or come out of it saying, "well, most 15 year old couldn't make this." I know plenty of people that have awesome flash skills and really work hard, and those are the people i try to beat, not other people my own age.

I just can't stand it when people use their age to give them a handicap on the design scale. If a 12 year old makes a sucky website, even if it is better then other 12 year olds, it is still a sucky website.

End of rant.

Señor member
    I don't think it makes any difference whatsoever. I mean, why should a 12 year old be deemed a good designer if they have a mediocre site (like in the thread yesterday) At the end of the day, if you're good enough, you're old enough.

Señor member
    I'm more concerned about the fact that seemingly more and more 12-18 year olds have their own businesses and clients etc. That doesn't seem right.

Funky Dutch Cactus
    Originally posted by jamble7000
    I'm more concerned about the fact that seemingly more and more 12-18 year olds have their own businesses and clients etc. That doesn't seem right.

why not? if they give the client what it wants for a good price, and they can play around with their design skills everybody is happy. don't see trouble there.

and i allso think age hasn't got anything to do with your skills. i am 17, but a lot of kids here at FK that are younger than me make better flash stuff, and have more experience. but so what? when you have fun with webdesign at that age it's ok. your life doesn't depend on it.

I dont think age has anything to do with it. You either have the talent or you dont, the knowledge of programs comes with time but the younger you are the quicker you seem to pick it up.

I think when people say "That's good for a 12 year old" they're relating to the fact they may not have as much experience as some other designers. 12 year olds usually have school so don't have as much time to spend using flash and building up their skills, whereas a 25 year old who works for a web design company, probably spends 5 days a week doing it since he was 18!

Señor member
    Originally posted by stevy99
    Originally posted by jamble7000

why not? if they give the client what it wants for a good price, and they can play around with their design skills everybody is happy. don't see trouble there.
    I think it's fine for them to develop skills and ideas in design etc but when it comes to running a business/company, there are certain legal and responsibility issues that I wouldn't feel comfortable with if I knew the supplier was only 12!

Imagine you were given a budget for a site/animation etc and you chose a reputable looking company through the net and the work was sub-standard or late etc and you found out the company was simply a 12 year old in their bedroom knocking out sites in their spare time between playing football and going to school. Explain that to your boss!

I don't have any doubts or issues with the skill of some of these people, it's just the level of legal and moral responsibilty to the client, I just don't believe they can all deliver. Seems I'm on my own on this one though

I agree with jamble. If i needed a website, i'd find someone i could smack around if i got it late, not some kid.

I feel I'm responsible enough for projects, but lots of people aren't.

Señor member
    Originally posted by killabry
    I agree with jamble. If i needed a website, i'd find someone i could smack around if i got it late, not some kid.
    Is this the general concensus of opinion though.....?!

I am continually amazed at the creativity and imagination of the young folks that visit this site. I can only imagine what they may be capible of in 10 years. With age/experience, you have more skills to work with.

I think its great for a 12-13 year old to own a design business. Everyone has to start somewhere. However, I think that they have a more difficult time convincing big companies ($$$) that they have the experience necessary to do major projects.

-Brian

Originally posted by bdsealy
    I am continually amazed at the creativity and imagination of the young folks that visit this site. I can only imagine what they may be capible of in 10 years. With age/experience, you have more skills to work with.

I think its great for a 12-13 year old to own a design business. Everyone has to start somewhere. However, I think that they have a more difficult time convincing big companies ($$$) that they have the experience necessary to do major projects.

-Brian
    Yeah.. you have a point there. I am 16 year old and most of the work that I have done are for friends that have little gigs going on, and stuff nothig major. Like for a big company or anything. It is difficult sometimes to get companies to see what you have. I went to this place where they where looking for a webdesigner and as soon as I told them my age they didnt even give me a chance to show them my work..

Im 18...and i think its all what you mind can come up with ..no matter what age u are...go check out my website if you want..peace

'Imagine you were given a budget for a site/animation etc and you chose a reputable looking company through the net and the work was sub-standard or late etc and you found out the company was simply a 12 year old in their bedroom knocking out sites in their spare time between playing football and going to school. Explain that to your boss!'

anyone who went on the internet to get their site designed deserves to have this talk with their boss. Imagine you're given a budget for a site, you find a reputable looking company, you give them your company's CC and then when the bill comes youve found that not only did they do no work, they sold your credit card number to some guy in Russia who wanted a new 60" flat screen tv. what would you tell your boss then? 'uh well sir i lost us a lot of money, but it least i didnt pay someone under the voting age!' i mean come on, to make it sound as if ONLY a kid could do sub-standard/late/fraudulent work is rediculous, as a minor myself i take a great offense to that statement.