A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: motion test

a motion test I was working on to practice smooth frame-frame animation.
    any comments or suggestions?

the shading isn't great, it's a test of the motion mostly

http://www.geocities.com/stef3d/motiontest1.htm

Looking pretty good, Stef.
    Perhaps a few more keyframes or slower framerate(or maybe my computer is just running it fast). Looks nice, tho.

Nelxon Studio
    That does look great, Nice job.

Very cool. Love the figure. Maybe a few more frames at the beginning to allow the user to "get ready" for the action. Can't wait to see more.

TwoPossums

FK founder & general loiterer Flashkit's Avatar
    Very cool.
    Ive been encouraging my friend to do some character movements like that.

We decided to use poser to create the animation of the character, then with each frame use it as the basis for drawing the character over the top, keeps it nicely in perspective and the motion very real!

the technique i used for this test(another one coming soon) was very similar to those used in traditional animation. I started with jus a skeleton sketched out with the pencil tool, like a pencil test. i then flesh it out on another layer and add color and effects. i find it works nicely, a bit tedious at times, but no worse than traditional animation.

hey tahts great man. i love it alot. i gotta start working on that... hey school starts tommorw so hey i cant. thats bummer. but a nyways great. keep it comin

Hey, that is great!

I would like to suggest a few things though. The audience usually misses the first 6 - 9 frames of animation so you might want to take that into consideration.

The other 2 very important things of traditional animation that may help this is squash, and some timing. When the character hits the ground, it maybe nice that you exagerate the squash, bend him down, and bend the knees more. Have him hold that pose, and then spring up, and as he gets closer to the top of the jump have him speed up.

However, it is looking good, remember the bouncing ball example for this, and you will get a very realistic, and great looking animation.

MichaelA

wow mike u really know your stuff. that would really hlep. hehehe. man im keeping in topuch with you when i animate my guy. gonna need you suggestions.

thanks for the feedback everyone.
    yeah, squash and stretch is great stuff. I never actually intended to make this into a movie, it was jus me messin around with new ways of doin stuff, so i kinda ignored stuff like s&s.

Thanks Armadillo88, just let me know when you want help, and I will be happy to see what I can do. I am sure I will need yours, and everyone elses in the next few weeks as my animated movie progresses (hope to have something to show you all soon!)

Stef3d, the pencil test is a great way to test the movement and emotion in the drawing. If you can not get that over in the stickfigure, and initial test, then no dressing up with a cool character will fix that. You are most definatly on the right track!

It takes forever though, doesn't it??!!!!

MichaelA

u bet mike.