A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How do you make your own icon????

I'm using SWF studio and I made an icon for a projector file i want and It wont let me put it in because its not an .ico file, i've tried renaming a .bmp to a .ico but it wont let me do that. How do I do this?? Thanx in advance

Was wondering that too

Hi there,
    I was wondering how to create an icon too. I think I read somewhere to just make a bmp that is 32x32pixels and just rename it with ico exstension. Then you had to add something into the autorun.inf something like open=whatever.ico? Not sure though, does anyone else know for sure how to do this?

....BOGGLES MY MIND!

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar

There are some good icon editors out there. Do a search for "Microangelo", "Icon Forge", "Axialis" or simply "icon editor" and you'll find plenty of hits.

ICO and BMP files share some commonalities in the way they store pixels (ICO files contain BMP images) but the header information is radically different. In most cases the formats are NOT interchangeable.

Hey Northcode

Thanx man, I'll look around for em'....and dude ur a genious at all this stuff how old are u?

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar

I think I'd be considered an "old fart" to most Flash users, 33 last month I only started learning Flash in Feb 2001 but I got hooked writing code back in 83 or 84 on the early C= PET 4032.

lol kewl man, I wasn't even born when you started writing code with C, hehe I just got into Flash like November or December last year and jsut got into Actionscript like a month ago and I know quite alot of Actionscript for not useing it very long. = )

lol kewl man, I wasn't even born when you started writing code with C, hehe I just got into Flash like November or December last year and jsut got into Actionscript like a month ago and I know quite alot of Actionscript for not useing it very long. But i've used Fireworks like for the past 3 or 4 years, I loved making crap on there you can make some awesome web pages in there. And you can make it corespond with Flash using the SWF export its kewl

hm.. I think i diddo'ed myself

Its like northcode says, icon editors are a dime a dozen. There are a couple that I really like.

1. Gold Icon form goldshell- Freeware- Its a bare bones easy to use Icon Editor. http://www.goldshell.com/goldicon/main.htm

2. Pixia- English edition... It can be set to make ICO files- It is a free graphic app that is somewhere between Paintshop Pro and Photoshop. http://www.ab.wakwak.com/~knight/

DANG!

wow! Do you live in flashkit Johnie? you got like 3600 posts...lol thats like...a ton! hehe

Iconfactory

If you have access to a Mac the most amazing program is Iconbuilder from Icon Factory http://www.iconfactory.com

It is free to download and is a plug in for Photoshop so all you do it use it like a filer and it will create icons from your layers it is amazing!! They even made it so that you can make PC icons from the program the .ico files and everything. Such an amazing program for anyone loopking to make their own icons