A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Dragging objects in Flash

Hello,

I am new to Flash and new to this forum (hence I'm in the newbie section basically I'm learning the basics of flash, and I'm doing decent enough to figure things out, but could someone help me on how to drag objects around in a scene? For example, I'm working on this one scene where there is a poster in a room, and the "player" of this Flash game can click the poster, and drag it to reveal something hidden behind it. My question is, how do I set an action for something to be moved or dragged in a scene? If anyone has any insite on this, or if I'm explaining this poorly, Please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Hello, PsychoMonkey
    Your problem is pretty easy to solve - just use startdrag(parameters) action to start dragging and stopdrag() to stop. Isn't it easy?
    But before that You should convert your "poster" firstly into button and then into mc (button inside mc) as button is used to handle on(click) events and only movie clips can be dragged. Don't forget to give a name to an instance of mc and use target button to point it in startdrag action...
    If you need more help, you're always welcomed, I'll try to answer all I can.
    petich

thank you very much, I will go and give this a shot. I really appreciate the help

You're always welcomed, pH

still a problem

ok, I got it to drag ok, however, when I drag the object, EVERYTHING that is on the screen at that time moves too, and I have no actions set for them. How do I get the object alone to move?

Re: still a problem

You wanted your objects to move together - they do haha.
    I asked you to paste in one button (do you remember?) ONLY
    that objects you wanted to move and in the MC ONLY the button you did like this?
    If yes goto your actionscript code - you had to type path in the StartDrag action try to use "this" (without quotes) instead of this target-path.
    If nothing helps send me the file I'll help.
    Always and foreva ready to help you, pH