A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: web enabled screensaver

hello - I'm trying to make a screensaver that pulls in some news items. It has two text boxes - one displays text pulled from an XML feed - the other is just HTML from an text file on my server. It works in swf format, and as a projector file. Oddly, however, it does not work as a screensaver file. I've tried creating it using the demo versions of both *********** (creator) and Flashwiz. Both of them seem to do something that's blocking the net connection and preventing the news text from loading.

Has anyone created a screensaver that pulls from the web before? If so, what did you use to create it? any special precautions? Thanks.

Ian

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar

Have you tried SWF Studio (www.northcode.com) yet?

You can use SWF Studio to create screen savers and projectors and if you can make an EXE load XML from the web it will work in a screen saver.

There's an XML example in the gallery at http://www.northcode.com/studio/gallery

If you have any problems you can get in touch with me at support@northcode.com and I'll help you out.

thanks - whaddaya know the damn thing worked! pretty cool. I downloaded the demo version, but you've definitely sold me on a copy if I can get my boss hip to it. I'm sure when he sees the demo he'll warm quickly to the idea.

Incidentally, the news items are links, and I'd love to be able to pop up the browser on top of the screensaver so people could see the news items they've clicked to. They're popping up behind right now. Is there a way to change that?

Thanks for the help - love the product.

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar

Popping the browser above the screen saver is possible but would present a HUGE security hole and make SWF Studio useless for "secure" environments where screen savers need passwords. I have added some new commands that will end the screen saver and open a URL, file or application. They will be available in the next build (scheduled for July 29th).

I could add an "unsecure" checkbox to the screen saver options that would enable the commands you need to open the browser above the screen saver. It would display a little warning message and optionally disable the screen saver if the user set a password.