A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Button + Menu Items on Rollover = Trouble

Heres my situation:

I have 5 buttons at the top of the screen that on rollover begins to play a movie clip (seprate MC for each button) which results in a submenu w/ more buttons.

My problem is I need to have the button keep the over state until another button is rolled over AND keep the MC for the button from starting over again if the user wanders to the sub menu and then accedently rolls back over the original button selection.

Clear as mud right?

Help, please!

Sean

Hi TxFrog1999,

Put the button rollover state in the Movie Clips themselves on another layer and put an invisible button with only a hit state in it ontop of the movie clip and have it control your movieClip.
    Let me know if this will resolve your prob, if not I will try again.

Cheers,
    Dunc

I understand putting the rollover state in the movie clip, but isn't there an actionscript function to keep a button in the over state once rolled over until clicked or another button rolled over? If not, this will work, although lining the button up within the movie clip over the current button will be a chore.

Also, will the invisible button stop the MC from replaying over and over each time the button is active and rolled over again? I need the button to be active in the rollover state not the down or hit state, and keep the MC from playing again if the button is rolled over again while its active. right now I can roll over button 1 and with telltarget it begins to play MC clip for button 1. If I then move th mouse down to the sub menu which is part of MC 1 then go back and rollover button 1 again the MC replays. I don't want that to happen I want the MC to remain in the stop state until the user rolls over a different main button.

Thanks for helping me, does that make things a bit easier to understand?

back up top...